Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Clearing post Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
One thing that also really helps clear ciders and wines if if you put the carboy in a cold place for two weeks. That really causes the proteins and other stuff to fall out and clear it right up. If that doesn't work, I've used sparkelloid with success.
I'm in a similar situation with a month old cider. I used unfiltered juice, no pectic enzyme, fermenation is done, but it's still cloudly.

I'm going to add some pectic enzyme and stick the carboy in a cold place before resorting to more chemical means. Should I rack off the gross lees before doing this or do you think a couple more weeks on them won't hurt?

Also, if I eventually go the sparkelloid route, will I still be able to bottle carb?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBF View Post
I'm in a similar situation with a month old cider. I used unfiltered juice, no pectic enzyme, fermenation is done, but it's still cloudly.

I'm going to add some pectic enzyme and stick the carboy in a cold place before resorting to more chemical means. Should I rack off the gross lees before doing this or do you think a couple more weeks on them won't hurt?

Also, if I eventually go the sparkelloid route, will I still be able to bottle carb?
If you have gross lees, I'd rack it. It'll clear better if you rack it. I would think that some cold crashing and sparkelloid would leave enough yeast in suspension to bottle carb, but if you want to make doubly sure, you could add a pinch of fresh dry yeast to your bottling bucket after the priming solution is cooled, mix that up, and then rack the cider into it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply