The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider Carbonation & Bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
GAJay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider Carbonation & Bottling

I started my first batch of Apple Passion Mango cider on May 14th. OG was 1.090 and I used 5.5 grams (half pack) of Nottingham Ale Yeast. It's been 11 days and my SP is at 1.010 which by my calculations is 10.8% ABV though I may have calculated something wrong. I don't mind it being a bit stronger than expected, but I thought an ale yeast would die out around 6% to 8% alcohol? I'd like to carbonate this in a bottle but not when I should do this. I'm going for a little sweetness so I'd like to stop fermentation soon but if I use Campden tabs and potassium sorbate I won't be able to carbonate it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The most common options are to back sweeten with non-fermentable sweetner like splenda or stevia, then add real sugar for carbonation.

The other option would be to stop fermentation by putting it permanently in the fridge to make the yeast go dormant, but you're flirting with bottle bombs and practically assured uneven carbonation with that method.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

although i have never used nottingham yeast i find it highly unlikely that it will finish at 8%
sad news, but you are facing the same problem as all of the other people who want to have sweet and sparkling cider: non-fermentable sugar, keg/force carb , or pasteurize. or exploding bottles

Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

As suggested, you've run into the conundrum. I suggest you read www.makinghardcider.com for a good introduction. I pasteurize my bottle conditioned cider, it's simple, easy and chemical-free, only requiring a little time.

Quick Reply