Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider bottling concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Firehawk69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Cider bottling concerns

I have a batch of cider that I just bottled. I used cranberry and apple juice with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 3 gallons and pasteur champagne yeast. I was concerned about it being too dry, so I back sweetened with 11.5 oz of apple juice concentrate and 1 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate. My concern now is that the sorbate will prevent carbonation with 2.3 oz corn sugar for the entire batch. Is my math off and are my concerns justified, or am I just putting too much thought into it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4282 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk69 View Post
I have a batch of cider that I just bottled. I used cranberry and apple juice with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg for 3 gallons and pasteur champagne yeast. I was concerned about it being too dry, so I back sweetened with 11.5 oz of apple juice concentrate and 1 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate. My concern now is that the sorbate will prevent carbonation with 2.3 oz corn sugar for the entire batch. Is my math off and are my concerns justified, or am I just putting too much thought into it?
Well, IF the sorbate does its work, it will prevent carbonation (as well as bottle bombs from the apple concentrate fermenting).

But sorbate isn't "magic" and will only work if the cider was completely finished, clear, and with very little suspended yeast. It works better in the presence of sulfites, so if you didn't use campden tablets the sorbate might be less effective.

What was the SG of the cider, and was it completely clear? If it was at .996 or below, and completely clear, you will probably be ok and not have bottle bombs. You won't have carbonation, either, though.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
Firehawk69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Final Gravity at bottling time was 1.008 and the cider was crystal clear with no suspended yeast. I have been keeping an eye on it and it is carbonating a little bit, just going slowly. But I expected it to take at least a week to condition.

Quick Reply