HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider With Blackberries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #31
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatmanTom View Post
Did you use any acid blend, yeast nutrient, or wine tannin? I also was thinking of adding raspberries to the mix, would they taste ok together?

Thanks,
Tom
No acid, no nutrient, no tannin. I think I would try raspberries OR blackberries, as mixing the two might make one indistinguishable from the other. But that is my personal preference.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #32
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo View Post
Regarding your original post i wanted to mention that mine just got done in primary yesterday and my blackberries were white,just wanted to let you know.
Nice! What was your FG, and what temp were you fermenting at? Mine has been going along at 62-64 degrees.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 12-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #33
buffalo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Nice! What was your FG, and what temp were you fermenting at? Mine has been going along at 62-64 degrees.
Mine tested at .999 yesterday afternoon before i racked it to secondary,i didn't check the actual temp of the cider but my garage was averaging 70-75 degrees. I'm guessing it was due to the heat but it finished alot sooner than i had expected,i added some juice today and its now fermenting a bit more in secondary where i'm leaving it for a few more weeks. It has such a strong alcohol taste i followed a fellow board members advice and added the juice to help it ferment awhile longer and mellow.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #34
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Yesterday the cider got to the magic number of 1.015, so I racked it off into a clean carboy and let it sit for a day. This evening I bottled a nice clear red colored cider. I added some apple juice concentrate, and i'll let it carb up in the bottles, then I'll stovetop pasteurize when they are ready. Tastes good now, looking forward to what it will taste like in 6 - 8 weeks.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #35
slingshot81
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow Mike great recipe! It's definitely on the list!

Bud Light Is Not Beer

Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #36
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Yesterday the cider got to the magic number of 1.015, so I racked it off into a clean carboy and let it sit for a day. This evening I bottled a nice clear red colored cider. I added some apple juice concentrate, and i'll let it carb up in the bottles, then I'll stovetop pasteurize when they are ready. Tastes good now, looking forward to what it will taste like in 6 - 8 weeks.
Bout that time, Mike. How's it comin?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #37
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill View Post
Bout that time, Mike. How's it comin?
Didn't make it to my planned date. It was too good, and it was all gone about a month before my expected date.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #38
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Haha nice! This post actually inspired a blackberry cider for me, that I'll be posting about at a later time. It's pretty tart - likely going to back sweeten and....well, you know. Yep. Looking forward to it mellowing and all...see if they aren't all gone before spring is over.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #39
UpstateMike
Recipes 

I just completed a raspberry batch last week. Looks like I will be pasteurizing it tomorrow or Saturday. I have a few others I can drink, so maybe this batch will get a chance to age.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:56 AM   #40
NineMilBill
Recipes 

So are you having better success with batches where you are stopping fermentation via pasteurization, or going dry and back sweetening? Or have you been able to tell a difference?

Quick Reply