The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider With Blackberries

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud View Post
Looks really tasty can't wait for more pictures!! Question though, I see the main variation from the original recipe was that you added sugar. You just wanted more alcohol content, or what?
Sort of. I'm planning on stopping fermentation around 1.015 to 1.020 (I want this a bit sweet), so I added sugar to boost the OG and still get 6.75% - 7.5% ABV.

After I poured the juice, I took a look at the sugar content per serving. 28g, 12 servings per bottle, 6 bottles, comes out to 2016g, or 4.45 pounds of sugar. That doesn't even figure in the sugar from the blackberries.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
ScunionBrewCo
Recipes 

Looks amazing UpstateMike, and I currently have a clone of this in primary fermentation right now. Quick question, do you worry about bacteria on the berries at all? I get that wild yeast might be present but what about bacteria infecting the cider?

Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
zmad2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

After reading this post i had the need to make this but when at Walmart they only had the fresh blackberries which i wasnt willing to pay for so i use frozen peaches instead.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
buffalo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmad2000 View Post
After reading this post i had the need to make this but when at Walmart they only had the fresh blackberries which i wasnt willing to pay for so i use frozen peaches instead.
I have the cider with blackberries going right now myself but did almost go with peaches,i think the next batch i will try peaches,it sounds great.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScunionBrewCo View Post
Looks amazing UpstateMike, and I currently have a clone of this in primary fermentation right now. Quick question, do you worry about bacteria on the berries at all? I get that wild yeast might be present but what about bacteria infecting the cider?
I'd probably worry more about it if I used fresh blackberries. I know some have soaked their berries in vodka for 5 - 10 minutes, then poured off the vodka and used the berries. Probably ups the ABV slightly.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The brewers yeast would likely kick the wild yeasts asses anyways. (Since when there is two different yeast strains, they will essentially battle each other for control over the carboy. Homebrew Wars anyone? lol.)

Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #17
UpstateMike
Recipes 

12 days along, and the krausen is still as thick as it was in the pic on day 5. I really think I could float a quarter on it. When I did my Apfelwein using Red Star Premier Cuvee, I got a thick krausen that lasted maybe 4 days then disappeared. Is it lasting longer because I used an ale yeast (Safale S-04) instead of a wine yeast? Ferment temp is 62 - 64 now.

I hope I get a Carboy Cleaner for Christmas, or I am screwed!

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
Bugeaud
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I hope I get a Carboy Cleaner for Christmas, or I am screwed!
Speaking of carboys, I always sort of wondered, why not just use a primary fermentation bucket for both primary and secondary fermentation? A lot easier to clean, eh?? lol

Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 AM   #19
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeaud View Post
Speaking of carboys, I always sort of wondered, why not just use a primary fermentation bucket for both primary and secondary fermentation? A lot easier to clean, eh?? lol
Personally, I like to see what is going on in there. Now, if I could get a clear 5.5 gallon food grade bucket...

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #20
AndyShank
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How long do you plan on letting this roll in primary? I'm about four days behind you in the process. I'm hoping for a dryer, not as sweet end product. My airlock has slowed down bubbling but is still rolling about once every ten seconds.

Thanks for the great recipe and detail!

Quick Reply