Some of you may know that earlier this summer I started a batch of cider using apples and cherries of my trees in the backyard. Well, we just did or second racking and tasting over thanksgiving and the turn out so far was good enough to encourage me to start a second batch.
Batch number #2 - "DBA - Death by Apple"
Cut, processed, and crushed between 5-6 pounds of each of the following:
Apples: Ambrosia, Royal Gala, Honey Ripe, Golden Delicious, Grannysmith, and Fuji
After having thoroughly beaten my knuckles to a pulp (no pun intended, hehe..) pressing all of the above and being a couple litres short of the total amount. (18 litres) I consigned myself to supplementing with 1.8 litres of organic Opalescent apple juice and just for a random kick, 1 litre of Ruby Red grapefruit juice.
Although I was wary of how the grapefruit juice would affect the final product, I'm new to this whole thing and willing to take chances.
Starting S.G. was 1.055 and I want to end up in the 10 - 11% range, so I added 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of brown sugar.
Yeast is a generic Champagne yeast from the wine kit section of my local grocer. I reconstituted it and pitched this morning and fermentation took off quickly (I think) as it is bubbling 3-4 times a min 8 hours later this evening.
Let me know your thoughts and opinions!