The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider attempt, has sour bite to it

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
tv219
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cider attempt, has sour bite to it

Couple weeks ago, i bought a gallon of apple cider, not apple juice, at the grocery store, found that it had some type of preservative and just decided to wing it, its only a gallon. However i ran out of yeast and i had bread yeast on hand so i pitched some of that. OG was around 1.05 with a cup of table sugar added. Three weeks later its down to 1.003 however the taste is rather sour.

My question- since i really had no hopes in the first place, my question is it normal under these conditions to have a sour taste to it. I can taste the apple"ness" but boyy is it sour. thoughts suggestions and btw this is my first attempt at hard cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Cider takes a long time to mellow. I'm guessing the bread yeast didn't help the flavor either.

If you're set on drinking it now you can back-sweeten with cider, or some other sweetener. Sweeten it to taste and chill it to keep it from re-fermenting. As long as you don't let it warm up it should be good to go. Since it's only a gallon you can probably just keep it in the fridge.

In the future, try using some champagne or beer yeast and let your final product sit or a few months to condition. The taste will improve over time. Even then, back-sweetening is always an option.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Just curious, what was the preservative?

You may have ended up with some wild yeast or other micro-org which contributed to the off taste. I usually add some metabisulfite to my ciders to kill the nasties. I use wyeast cider yeast (4766)

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
tv219
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I believe it was sorbate? if that is correct, and im not to worried when i have more stuff around ill attempt a batch and let it age

Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 111

You will always have problems with the potassium sorbate. It prevents yeast from multiplying, so unless you toss in a huge batch of yeast you'll probably get limited fermentation. Ideally, you want preservative-free cider.

I have used cider with pottasium sorbate before. Sometimes it was all I could find. I usually cut it with some frozen preservative-free apple juice to dilute the levels. I also make a huge yeast starter. It's worked.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
tv219
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well the thing is , it fermented fine actually, went almost three or four days with bubbles almost every 15-30 seconds. It dropped from 1.05 to 1.003 so I would say, at least from what i know, the fermentation went well?!!? I actually dont mind the sourness either its just that i wasnt expecting it!!

Quick Reply