Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider and Apfelwein half-batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Cider and Apfelwein half-batches?

I'm new to homebrewing, and my wife wants my hobby to benefit her, so I was thinking of making her Apfelwein. The only issue with that is that my wife doesn't want to wait 6+ months for something to drink

I have 21L of cold-pressed apple juice that I bought from Walmart, today (some Canadian brand) and I was thinking of doing a half-batch of Apfelwein with Lavlin 1118, and another half-batch of sweet hard cider.

I've found several recipes for dry cider, but I'm looking for a sweet cider that I can make in 3-4 months. My wife likes Magners and Grower's brand ciders... but Magners is super complicated and Grower's is too small to find a clone (and I'm too new to come up with something on my own)

Would 2.5gal of apple juice + 1lb of corn sugar + Wyeast 3068? Primary for 4-6 weeks and rack to secondary for another 4-6 weeks, then bottle for 3-4 weeks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I just had a mini-braingasm. I think I'm going to make a full batch of Apfelwein and then backsweeten 1/2 with Splenda and carb it, and then leave half of it flat and dry.

That way, I get to appreciate the full goodness of the Apfelwein without carbonation or added sweetness, and my wife gets a sweet fizzy drink The flat stuff can wait until the summer/fall of 2013 for consumption, too... since I want to give it time to mature before I try it out.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I personally think you can get a GREAT session cider in less than 2 months. A couple of weeks in primary, about a month or so in secondary always gives me a nice crisp cider without being mouth puckering. (FG 1.001 - 1.002) This being said, I typically only shoot for 6-8% ABV...the more alcohol the longer you typically will have to age it.

OR...if you make apple wine...just start now and keep the pipeline going. You'll have to wait a long time for the first batch, but then it will be a steady supply

Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nice.

I just filled the carboy, got an OG reading of 1.060

Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Just made another batch with Rougemont apple juice (cheaper brand than the walmart cider) and ended up with an OG reading of 1.062. Close enough to compare juice to juice when it's all done

3rd batch using Allen's apple juice is planned for tomorrow.

All 3 batches will use the same yeast. I might make a 4th batch with wyeast 3068, since I have a smack-pack for an upcoming dunkelweizen, but I might step it a couple times and get enough to make my dunkelweizen + another 2.5gal batch of cider.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

And 3rd batch is made. ended up making a bit more than 2.5gal, and got a OG reading of 1.062.

Can't wait to try all these out. But at 68F, it's gonna be a LONG time before these are done fermenting :S

Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

At 68ºF, I think you will be surprised. I typically shoot for around 58ºF for primary and low 60s for secondary. At 68º, most yeast strains will enjoy those "snow bird" balmy temps

Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Here's a pic of the 3 of them on the go:

Yes, I know, lots of empty carboys! I just bought 8 of them, so I'm working at cleaning them (lots of nasty in them) and I gotta find time to brew some beer (newborn in house, not easy to find spare time)

Old 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Congrats on all of the carboys. I put all of mine in empty milk crates. They work awesome for moving carboys around. They are easier to carry than the neck handles (which shouldn't be used on full carboys) and it allows you to slide them around without worrying about the bottoms.

111311_carboy.jpg  

Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #10
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oh! Genius!! Where do you get those, nowadays? I don't know anybody that works at a grocery store, so kinda SOL.

I'm a pretty big dude and have rubber gloves I use to pick up the carboys. The 5gal one is heavy as sin, but they don't move much I also have a carboy hauler on order for further moves.

Quick Reply