New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
EFaden
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cider....

So.... I tried making some cider. I mixed 4 gallons with yeast... fermented it... added camden tablets and potassium sorbate. Stuck it into a keg under pressure... I'm not sure what happened. It seems to sweet and not fermented enough yet.... the question is... is this fixable? Can I take the pressure off and repitch some new yeast?... or will the potassium sorbate stop it? Any way to fix this?

-Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
GinKings
Recipes 

No, you're pretty much screwed. You should buy a hydrometer and take gravity readings next time. At the very least, taste it before adding campden and sorbate.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
No, you're pretty much screwed. You should buy a hydrometer and take gravity readings next time. At the very least, taste it before adding campden and sorbate.
Yeah... was going to take gravities...its a longer story than above involving a neighbor, but yeah. Figured it was screwed. Thx.

-Eric

Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #4
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
So.... I tried making some cider. I mixed 4 gallons with yeast... fermented it... added camden tablets and potassium sorbate. Stuck it into a keg under pressure... I'm not sure what happened. It seems to sweet and not fermented enough yet.... the question is... is this fixable? Can I take the pressure off and repitch some new yeast?... or will the potassium sorbate stop it? Any way to fix this?
You should be able to get it fermenting again by making a big healthy starter and pitching it at about 70 degrees.

Cheers

HW

Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What's the current gravity? Take a sample, shake it up (if it's carbed) and let it warm to 60f (if it's cold).

You can almost certainly get the fermentation going again with a big starter - assuming you dosed it correctly with the k sorbate.

Also, was this store bought juice (Motts, Kirkland, etc)? That will help to give me an idea of the original gravity.

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Old 02-07-2012, 01:50 AM   #6
EFaden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacandy View Post
What's the current gravity? Take a sample, shake it up (if it's carbed) and let it warm to 60f (if it's cold).

You can almost certainly get the fermentation going again with a big starter - assuming you dosed it correctly with the k sorbate.

Also, was this store bought juice (Motts, Kirkland, etc)? That will help to give me an idea of the original gravity.
I'll grab a sample when I get home tomorrow from school. I am pretty sure I dosed the K Sorbate right. I have some DME and a big vessel, so I could make a pretty big starter and repitch after I move it back to a carboy (from the keg)... or should I just leave it in the keg?

Oh ... also its local cider...

-Eric

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
dinnerstick
has never been to azerbaijan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 17

they say you want to make the starter out of similar stuff to what you're pitching it into ('they' being people who know more about yeast than i do). i can't vouch for the veracity of that idea; maybe it only applies to maltose.... but i would be inclined to make it using apple juice, or simple sugars and yeast nutrient, no- i'm in over my head here suddenly...

Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
EFaden
Recipes 

Me... at this point I would settle for drinkable. Gravity was 1.025 or so after degassing.

Thoughts?

-Eric

Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

you shouldn't need to pitch any new yeast. Unless you cold crashed and racked before you added the sorbate and campden tabs the fermentation is still active. put it in a carboy and let it finish.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
thewurzel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I would probably get another gallon and add 1/2 to a pound cane sugar.
let it completely ferment out dry. then shake it up and pitch the whole lot into 5 gallon carboy.
if the fermentation doesnt kick off least you will have diluted it out a little with a higher alcohol and a dryer cider.

Quick Reply