New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > cheap quick cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
kissajew86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cheap quick cider

All - I wanted to try some cider but didnt want to invest a lot of money so i got 5 gallons of hytop apple juice from the store...cost$20.

I also added 1 lb of honey , which was another ~$4.

I let it sit in the primary for about a week, racked it to a secondary and have let it clear and age for 3 weeks.

I put it in the keg after that, it settled in and carbinated in about 3 days...it tasted fairly good but it was missing something.....i started reading up and from what i could gather i needed to add some acid....so i ordered an acid blend for wine/friut, added a small amount and wow what a diffrence....

the cider came out to about 5%, but you cant really taste the acohol....it is VERY smooth...

the acid gave it just the right amount of sour/bitterness to make it a GREAT brew....

so it you ever want to try apple cider for cheap, i would recomend this, i will definatly be doing it again!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Keln
Recipes 

What kind of yeast did you use? What do you use to carbonate? Corn sugar? I'm about to try my first cider and I've only done wine and mead so far and no beers yet.

Primary: Empty
#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Old 06-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Just about any wine/beer/cider yeast will work. I use nottingham. Corn sugar, table sugar, more juice to carbonate. Nothing is simpler than cider. Shoot, if you get freshly pressed juice, you don't even need yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Keln
Recipes 

If you carbonate is it safer to bottle in beer bottles, or does it matter? I only have wine bottles and corks and a nice corker, and I dunno if I really want to buy a capper, caps, and beer bottles yet.

Primary: Empty
#6001 Chardonnay
#6002 JAO Mead
#6003 Traditional Cider

Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
mfalco
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keln
If you carbonate is it safer to bottle in beer bottles, or does it matter? I only have wine bottles and corks and a nice corker, and I dunno if I really want to buy a capper, caps, and beer bottles yet.

Carbonation will push the corks out. If you don's want to buy a capper, get some used champagne botthes and buy push in champagne corks (usually plastic) and champagne wire(to hold the corks in)

This site has the corks for $0.15 and the wires for $0.15. I get allot of my beer making stuff from them because there is no local homebrew shop for me.

http://northernbrewer.com/wine-bottling.html

Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
kissajew86
Recipes 

I used a standard wine yeast for firmentation...

I have a keg setup so i force carbinated

Old 06-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissajew86
All - I wanted to try some cider but didnt want to invest a lot of money so i got 5 gallons of hytop apple juice from the store...cost$20.

I also added 1 lb of honey , which was another ~$4.

I let it sit in the primary for about a week, racked it to a secondary and have let it clear and age for 3 weeks.

I put it in the keg after that, it settled in and carbinated in about 3 days...it tasted fairly good but it was missing something.....i started reading up and from what i could gather i needed to add some acid....so i ordered an acid blend for wine/friut, added a small amount and wow what a diffrence....

the cider came out to about 5%, but you cant really taste the acohol....it is VERY smooth...

the acid gave it just the right amount of sour/bitterness to make it a GREAT brew....

so it you ever want to try apple cider for cheap, i would recomend this, i will definatly be doing it again!
Did you get much sweetness? Or do you not need it with the Acid? What's the brand name of the acid you bought. I made one very similar to yours except with 5 lbs of brown sugar and cider yeast. It turned out very alcoholic and is just now getting drinkable after about 9 months. Not a bit of sweetness.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Interesting - I've made the exact same recipe, but without the acid, and I used an ale yeast (wyeast 1056). I also thought it was missing something - I'll have to give it a try.

Oh, yeah - how much did you add?

Last edited by alemonkey; 06-13-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
Indiana Red
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made mine in the 1Gal glass jugs the juice came in. Added half a vial of WL0001 to each. To one of them I added 1/2 c. brown sugar and a cloth bag with 5 cloves and 2 cinimon sticks.
The one with out the added stuff was better. Fermented down to almost exactly 1.000. Quite dry, but very tasty.

Kegged German Hef - #1301
Lagering Dopplebock - #1302
Bottled Berliner Weisse - #1303
Primary Belgian Trippel
Planning Weizenbock
BoiseBrewBlog.com

Quick Reply