New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
mike_in_ak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Why make it so hard on yourself?

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Why don't you just go to the hardware store and make a bottling bucket? You can find everything you need, including a spigot there.

With my bottling bucket and my dip tube, I leave no more than about 3 ounces behind, which means I can get about 52 to 54 bottles per 5 gallon batch.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Gis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak
Yes there is something wrong with that.
Not if you're careful and don't disturb the lees too much. Did plenty of brews this way as a new brewer, no dramas! Back when I didn't have an army of vessels at my disposal...

Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

It doesn't an army. It takes a bucket. Why do it wrong?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you do end up re-priming transfer one bottle to a same size plastic soda bottle and use it as your carb control bottle. When it is firm (or explodes) you usually have carbonation in other bottles. At least that has worked for me.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
crazychris66
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
If you do end up re-priming transfer one bottle to a same size plastic soda bottle and use it as your carb control bottle. When it is firm (or explodes) you usually have carbonation in other bottles. At least that has worked for me.
I have put them back in a warm place for the next 7 days so will see how it goes then if still nothing will add more sugar and a wee bit of yeast...............what do you all think

Old 02-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychris66 View Post
I have put them back in a warm place for the next 7 days so will see how it goes then if still nothing will add more sugar and a wee bit of yeast...............what do you all think
Sounds like a plan.

If you want to test to see if there is enough active yeast you could just open a 330ml bottle, dump it into a larger bottle or container, add a tablespoonful of sugar, give it a good 30 second shake (yeast like oxygen) and put it in a warm area to see if fermentation re-starts. (don't re-cap that one ... a bit too much sugar)

If fermentation does re-start in the test bottle, then adding more priming sugar to the others should do the trick with a bit of patience and a warm room.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #17
crazychris66
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley

Sounds like a plan.

If you want to test to see if there is enough active yeast you could just open a 330ml bottle, dump it into a larger bottle or container, add a tablespoonful of sugar, give it a good 30 second shake (yeast like oxygen) and put it in a warm area to see if fermentation re-starts. (don't re-cap that one ... a bit too much sugar)

If fermentation does re-start in the test bottle, then adding more priming sugar to the others should do the trick with a bit of patience and a warm room.
Thanks for that

Old 02-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
michael_mus
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Thanks for that
It's been weeks now, how did things go?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
crazychris66
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_mus

It's been weeks now, how did things go?
It got bait more carbonation but still not as fizzy as I'd like. I might need to leave it more or be the risk batch I throw out

Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
michael_mus
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
It got bait more carbonation but still not as fizzy as I'd like. I might need to leave it more or be the risk batch I throw out
Interesting. Well, you could always chill it and enjoy 'still' too.

I bottled a batch of beer and a batch of cider on the same day. Seems that the Safale US-05 I used for the beer carbed up already but the WLP775 English Cider yeast I used in the cider is either a lot slower or not carbing at all.

Quick Reply