Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Carbonating Ciders

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Default Carbonating Ciders

I back sweetend 4 gallons of cider with 2 cans of apple juice concentrate. I then bottled my cider and used a plastic bottle to gauge to see how much pressure was building. In 24 hours my plastic bottle was nice and hard do I decided that my bottles must be done. I then placed all 48 bottles in my fridge to slow or stop the fermentation. The bottles were good, nice light bubbles. Well I decided to take a few out of the fridge and place them at room temp again to see if I could get them to be a bit more bubbly. I left them out for 5 days and they were way bubbly. So now I know that somewhere in between the two would of been perfect like say 2-3 days, then back in the fridge.

image-4013541228.jpg

My cider after 1 day bottled

image-1068384271.jpg

My cider after 5 days bottled
Big difference

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
sa101
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

Can't go wrong with this method. Find your desired carbonation level, then pasteurize!

Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
popeboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Good tip, I think I'll let this next batch sit two days after bottling before throwing them in the fridge.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

That pasteurizing I have yet to try. It just seems like such a process. I guess if you have no room in the fridge for all your bottles, pasteurizing is the only option.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
irchowi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd prefer pasteurizing so that I can make sure that all bacteria and yeasts are dead for drinking.

But I have a question. when you use a plastic bottle for testing, how much do you fill it up? does it matter?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irchowi
I'd prefer pasteurizing so that I can make sure that all bacteria and yeasts are dead for drinking.

But I have a question. when you use a plastic bottle for testing, how much do you fill it up? does it matter?
I wondered this as well. And do you just squeeze it and pasteurize when it doesn't flex?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
smythe012
Recipes 

I just bottled my first batch of cider this last Saturday. I'm going with the "plastic bottle tester" route as well but due to paranoia and impatience, I popped open a bottle last night to check. It was a little low on carbonation, but then again I was going to a dry sparkling cider, so I'm guessing there isn't much sugar in there.

My new technique? I'm just "testing" a bottle at a time, a day at a time until I get it right. Then pasteurize and set in the corner or a month to let it age a bit.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

image-3169291398.jpg

My tester at time of filling.

image-3768693159.jpg

Approx. 24 hours later. It swelled up nice as you can tell from the pics. This like I stated is 24 hours later and for my cider the magic number for my carbonation preference was three days bottle conditioning (carbing). It depends on how much sugar you use to back sweeten also. I did two cans of concentrate for 4 gallons of cider. That's what the purpose of the plastic bottle is, if it's rock hard and ready to burst, throw your glass bottles into the fridge or bottle pasteurize. I had s bottle out for 6 days intentionally to see if it would blow, the cap swelled but no bottle bomb. Not as scary as most think (bottle bombs) maybe I got lucky? But two cans of concentrate is quite a bit of sugar for bottle priming I would say and nothing happened.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Hmm. My upstatemike's caramel apple cider calls for five cans of concentrate and a caramel sauce made with brown sugar to backsweeten this weekend. I better keep an eye on it if you think two cans of concentrate carbed fast!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

image-282594029.jpg

This is the result of letting it go 6 days though, look at how much it carbonated it. Striped some flavor out too I might add. 3 days was adequate, I would not go longer than that, but that was my formula, everyone's is going to be different.

image-3157633698.jpg

This is one that I stopped after 3 days and it's perfect, absolutely perfect

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS