Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Carbonated in fermenter... what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
egoods
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonated in fermenter... what now?

Well, I accidentally put too much water in the pan I used as a blowoff valve. And it looks like the gas couldn't escape so my cider is now carbonated. It was bubbling along for 3 or 4 days before and the bubbling slowed significantly but I figured that was just the natural process. I've since put an airlock on there. I did try a glass and the carbonation was nice, as was the taste. It even had more bite to it then I expected. I'd say it's in the 4% range, just judging by taste. So, what are my options? I imagine it'll flatten out in the next couple of days. I wouldn't be too upset if I just bottled it and called it a day. Granted it's not exactly clear but it's just for myself and my roommate to enjoy so I don't really care about that. It's just cheap store bought cider with some ale yeast in it so nothing super special. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

In Primary - Basic hard cider - from pasteurized store-bought cider and mystery ale yeast.

In Secondary - Plain American Ale, and yes it's to try and get my significant other interested in home brewing =)

Bottles - air, waiting patiently to be filled with some American Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
wreckinball9
Recipes 

the general consensus is that most prefer cider carbonated anyway so you lucked out, IMO

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Fermented beverages will remain lightly carbonated until you force the CO2 out. Unless you're making wine, most people don't bother.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It takes quite a bit of pressure to dissolve co2 into solution. Unless you had a couple meter tall column of water pushing against your blowoff, its not carbonated. It's still fermenting. Let it go a couple more weeks, and it will clear, the bite will mellow, and it will be much better. I think the general consensus (read the apfelwein threads or a couple cider threads) that a month is pretty standard.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
wreckinball9
Recipes 

If you like the taste currently, you might want to rack, cold crash, and rack again. This should stop the fermentation so you are left with a sweeter cider that is drinkable sooner. Plus it'll help it clear.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

I agree, no way you had so much water in your "pan" that it carbonated the cider. Youd need a crap ton of head pressure on that thing to create say 2.5 volumes of CO2 at room temp. I mean that would be 30PSI? It would blow the stopper out way before that.

Last edited by The Pol; 10-25-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
rjschroed
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

assuming my math is correct, technically since we have to assume the cider has been around 70 degrees we have to assume it would take more than 30 psi to carbonate 2.5 volumes but the idea is right and correct, the stopper would likely just look and feel loose, all it needs is just enough space for the pressure to escape, it don't take much. but like I said, the idea is right, there is no way you had that much back pressure in your headspace to carbonate it. the bubbles your probably seeing are probably just active fermentation. patients grasshopper. if you bottle now I would fear bottle bombs. . . not a good option.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
vespa2t
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

typical stopper for a 5-gal carboy would have 45lbs of upward pressure on it if you had 30psi in there

I have had a cider that was super carbonated while it was fermenting. It was really delicious with those bubbles...

-Paul O.
Vintage Vespa, Classic Mini Cooper, and Fermentation. Thats my life.

Quick Reply