Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Carbing Edworts Apfelweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
brewser09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbing Edworts Apfelweizen

I would like to carbonate my Edworts Apfelweizen with either brown sugar or honey to sweeten it up a bit, how would i go about that? Should i get a gallon of Applejuice and disolve 1/2 of brown sugar in it and add it like usual or do i just dump it into the bottleing bucket and give it a stir??

Slovak proverb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
rowingbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

treat it the way you would a beer. dissolve 3/4 cup of brown sugar into about 16 oz of water, add that to bottling bucket and give it a stir. I am assuming you made a 5 gallon batch. i don't know how much honey should be used to carb, I would assume about 1 cup to 5 gallons but don't quote me.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Adding honey or brown sugar wont sweeten it up, the yeast will ferment both out almost completely. It will give you carbonation, and a slight alcohol boost...but not sweetness.

If you want it sweet, the best thing to do at this point is sweeten each glass as you pour with some fresh apple juice or table sugar.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
Brodie2571
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_thru_marshall View Post
If you want it sweet, the best thing to do at this point is sweeten each glass as you pour with some fresh apple juice or table sugar.
A nice way I sweeten up my batches that ended up very very VERY DRY is to take a tube of apple juice concentrate and keep it frozen and when you pour your drink into a glass throw a nice chunk of the concentrate into the glas before you pour your cider over it, helps cool it and sweeten it.

I also found out that you can bottle carb your cider by adding one can of apple juice concentrate to a 5 gal batch, be weary of those bottle bombs with the concentrate tho.

Yet I like my Cider still for the most part, still and sweet. I normally pour a pitcher with a 1/3 tube of concentrate. And since my cider is normally around 10-15% IT NEEDS some sweetener. (And I enjoy making a little applejack from time to time... If anyone has the info for making that process legal on a personal amount please let me know, I have no problem for paying a couple extra bucks to make my own Hoochy Hooch!

Quick Reply