Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Carbed cider in comparison to still cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Meadiator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Carbed cider in comparison to still cider

Is there anyone that prefers still cider over carbonated cider? It seems like it would be much less hassle to make still cider, because even if pasteurization is done improperly, there is a smaller chance of bottle bombs. Thoughts? Opinions? Any feedback is welcome.

A mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa fincestra.

Antonioium Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is purely a matter of personal preference. I don't mind still cider, but I carbonate mine. A still cider needs to be good quality, carbing can cover a lack of flavour. It depends a bit on your climate - when it is hot outside a fizzy drink is very refreshing.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I like them both....Dryer ciders, like apfelwine I like highly carbed like champagne. But I did a cider with honeycrisp and heirloom ciders that was back sweetened, and tastes great still.

But it is all preference.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Definitly a matter prefrence. They are different, and so folks can be on either side of the fence. I like to back sweeten, so I gravitate towards still ciders. However, I've had great tasting carbed ones, so I won't say one type is better! :-)

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The thing to do is that whenever you're trying a new recipe for the first time, split the batch and carb half and leave the other still, and put some of both type aside to age and you can decide over time as you're enjoying them which way you and your friends prefer. That make not of that recipe which way is more popular, so next time you make that type, you can do the entire batch that way.

That's what I did with my first recipe of Apfelwein, and I learned that me and my friends prefer it carbed and a minimum of a year old. So that's how I make mine every couple of years.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

reverendj1 Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I had one still bottle in my first batch, with the rest carbed. I preferred the carbed version better. Also, I forgot to degas the still bottle and popped the cork once or twice.

My second batch got carbed in beer bottles again. I like a med/hi carb level and dry as a bone.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I takes it any way I can gets it! Seriously though, I prefer carbonated to still.

Primary: Skeeter Pee
Secondary: "Not a Chardonnay", Malbec
On Tap: Pale Ale, Brown, Marzen
Next batch(es): Cider, dirty blonde

Updated: 8-21-2014

Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
b-boy
16%er
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I like backsweetened cider. I keg, so carb'd is pretty much a given. However, I do try to grab a few uncarb'd before the batch fully carbonates.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I like my ciders (and wines) to be still, not sparkling. I make all of my wines, meads, and ciders uncarbonated. I also prefer dry ciders and meads and wines. Others like them sweetened. I just don't have a sweet tooth at all, and don't drink anything sweet including tea or soda.

It really depends on your own preferences.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I agree with Revvy about making half and half. I prefer sweet, still ciders, but dry, carbonated ciders. Probably the opposite of what most like, but it's all about finding what you like best.

Quick Reply