Carb with honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebbtide

Reaction score
I will be bottling some cider within a week or so and wanted to know how much honey to add to a 16oz bottle? This is my first go at any type of brewing ( I know not really brewing) so hopefully you can point a newb in the right direction. Thank you!

Ebbtide said:
I will be bottling some cider within a week or so and wanted to know how much honey to add to a 16oz bottle? This is my first go at any type of brewing ( I know not really brewing) so hopefully you can point a newb in the right direction. Thank you!

The downside of honey is that there isn't a set amount of sugar. So each bottle of honey has a different amount of sugar. My suggestion is pour in enough for your tastes, bottle and put some is a plastic soda bottle. When the soda bottle is rock hard either cold crash all your bottles, or barring room in the fridge, read the sticky on pasteurization. Just keep an eye on that bottle or risk bombs.

You don't need much sugar to carbonate. Honey will give you little, if any, flavor contribution with such a small amount. It is also sticky and difficult to measure the small amount needed to carb a 16 oz bottle. My suggestion is to use sugar. It's much easier to work with. You can take a scoop with a measuring spoon and pour it in the bottle. That doesn't work so well with honey.

Thanks a ton for the feedback. I'll head over to my local brew store and pick up some sugar this week. I appreciate the advice!

Back