Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #971
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyInMe View Post
Plus isn't a coffee pot like a cast iron skillet? You're not supposed to actually clean those things right?
TRUE! And I definitely practice that. Thanks for the tip

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #972
Bobbys
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Well I'm bottling another attempt at this. On my first attempt I followed the instructions, bottled at 1.010-1.014 with 3 cans frozen apple juice and the syrup. After about 1 .5 days I had a gyser when checking the carb.too late to pasteurize, so the batch went into the cold garage over the winter to keep it in check. This batch I waited 21 days for the f.g. to each .998 -1.000. Racked it to another bucket for 24 hours and then racked it to my bottling bucket with 3 cans frozen apple juice and syrup. Bottled in 31 650ml glass bottles and 2 500ml pet bottles.(for checking carb.) Wondering if it will still carb up now that I let it ferment out more than recommended ? How long would it take ? Will be checking it everyday just curious if others have let it ferment out and then back sweetened and carbed it in bottles.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #973
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I have let it go dry on accident before on a 1gal batch an I back sweeten it, bottled it, an it carbed up in about 2 weeks at around 75f. So wont hurt to try.

Note: it's a real light carbonation, but still good. I never pasteurized that batch either, think I may have a bottle or two left of that.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #974
dpitts
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My eyes are crossed after making it through all 98 pages. I will be off to the HBS for yeast tomorrow and will give this a go as my second cider. With all of the info I plowed through I see now why my first plain cider did not turn out too well. Thanks to all those who have posted details of their experience/experiments. It really helps!

Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #975
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpitts View Post
My eyes are crossed after making it through all 98 pages.
You are a champ, especially if that was all in one sitting! Use the recipe on page 42, post #420, and I highly recommend using the cinnamon extract and not the cinnamon powder.

Use this recipe! Updated recipe
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
Newsman Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #976
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well this is my second time making this and finally trying it out, and just not crazy about it.

I have made several batches of beer, and some mead, and it has all turned out good, but I can't seem to get this down. Not sure if it is my process or ingredients or maybe Its just not my style.

I was wondering if anyone who thinks they make this well would be willing to send me a bottle so I can compare. I would love to send back one of my beers in return and get feedback on it as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #977
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-brewer View Post
Well this is my second time making this and finally trying it out, and just not crazy about it.

I have made several batches of beer, and some mead, and it has all turned out good, but I can't seem to get this down. Not sure if it is my process or ingredients or maybe Its just not my style.

I was wondering if anyone who thinks they make this well would be willing to send me a bottle so I can compare. I would love to send back one of my beers in return and get feedback on it as well.
So, what WAS your process? What juice brand and all that? I'm curious. As for exchanges, I'm always up for something like that! Not sure if you'd get shortchanged though cause some of my stuff is good...some not so much. Feel free to PM if you'd like!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #978
Bobbys
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa911 View Post
I bottled this past weekend (21 days from the start). I hit a FG of 1.000 give or take.

I am 48 hours in bottles and my sample plastic soda bottles are not showing any signs of massive carbonation. I will post again once I pasturize and taste the final product.
Any news on this ? curious minds want to know !
thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #979
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I have this fermenting now. I wanted to stop the fermentation when it hit 1.010 so when it hit that gravity I put it in a keg and tossed it in the fridge. I havent been able to make the caramel concoction yet and the cider has been in the fridge for ~4 days now. Is there any harm or side effects that will come with leaving the cider in the fridge for a few more days and then back sweetening it when I have the time? Do you think it will continue to ferment a little in the fridge over a period of about 6-8 days? (Fridge temp is ~34) Hopefully when I rack it from the very cold crashed keg I will still have enough yeast to carb it up in bottles? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #980
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Cold crashing won't kill the yeast. It just puts them to sleep kinda, so as soon as you let them warm back up they will reactivate. I see no problem letting it sit for a few extra days. Just make sure it warms up before trying to add the Carmel or else it won't mix very well. Oh and be sure to use extract for your cinnamon instead it will work out much better for you.

Quick Reply