Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #901
goteamwhatever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am going to try this for sure but a quick question. Can I use table sugar, pure cane sugar, instead of dextrose and I f I do how much do I use. What's gonna be the difference?

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 AM   #902
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwhatever View Post
I am going to try this for sure but a quick question. Can I use table sugar, pure cane sugar, instead of dextrose and I f I do how much do I use. What's gonna be the difference?
Seems to me I read somewhere that if you use table sugar when the recipe calls for corn sugar, you should use 5% less than what the recipe calls for. So instead of using 2 pounds (32 ounces, 907 grams) of dextrose, try 1.9 pounds ( 30.5 ounces, 862 grams) of table sugar. Just be sure to check the gravity with your hydrometer. Get the SG to approximately 1.065 and you should be good to go.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #903
goteamwhatever
Recipes 

OK gonna start a three gallon batch tomorrow. Here is my revised recipe. Bottles of a.j. are 3 qt.

Caramel apple hard cider

Ingredients
3 gallons of apple juice
1.14 lb of sugar
Lalvin EC 1118 wine yeast

Ingredients, Part 2
3 campden tablets (Optional, see notes)
3 – 12 oz. cans of Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate, thawed to room temperature
7.2 oz. Caramel Syrup

Recipe for Caramel Syrup:
2 cups of water
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. At boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes (until volume is reduced to half). Let cool & bottle for future use.

Part 1 (Started ___):
Opened 1 bottle of apple juice, got a gravity reading of ____. Temp is __ degrees.

In a 3 gallon carboy, pour in bottle 1 of apple juice.

Open bottles 2 and 3 of apple juice. Pour half of each bottle into carboy. Add .57 lbs of sugar per bottle to the remaining amount of apple juice in bottle 2 and 3. Shake bottles to mix sugar and apple juice. Pour bottle 2 and 3 into carboy.

Pour half of bottle 4 of apple juice into carboy. Take another sample for OG, get a target reading of 1.065. Open yeast, pour into carboy. Agitate carboy to mix in yeast. Pour the rest of bottle 4 of apple juice into carboy.

Part 2 (In about 14 days): Check for target FG of 1.010 to 1.015

Rack cider into a 3 gallon carboy. OPTION: If you want a still cider, add 3 crushed Campden tablets to the cider at this time. If you want a carbonated cider, skip this optional step. Make the Caramel Syrup and wait 24 hours before proceeding.

After 24 hours, siphon cider into your bottling bucket. Add the Caramel Syrup and the 3 cans of apple juice concentrate while siphoning to aid in mixing. Bottle the cider and enjoy.

If you are carbing in the bottle, be aware that this will carb up fast (4 - 5 days) due to all the sugar. I highly recommend that you fill and cap a plastic pop or beer bottle first, and use that as a guide to tell you when it will be time to Stovetop Pasteurize the batch.

All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #904
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 265

I pasteurized last night, first time ever. A little background: Fermented from 1.045 to 1.003 in 18 days with cider Wyeast. Had a little fizz at that point. Added syrup and 3 cans of ajc and bottled last Saturday (3/23). Filled a plastic soda bottle to test firmness, even bought a new Coke in same bottle type to compare. One day later, plastic bottle about same as after bottling, didn't open glass bottle. Two days later, plastic bottle slightly firm, glass bottle opened with slight pfft. Third day, plastic bottle felt same as day 2, no glass bottle opened (mistake!). Day four, yesterday, (3/26), plastic bottle finally felt same as unopened Coke. Opened glass bottle... gushed all over! Remembered that warm soda sometimes gushes so I decided to pasteurize 1 bottle. Worked fine. Pasteurized 6 more, no problem, then 6 more, no problem. Yes, I was nervous as hell, but my confidence and comfort level were building. Eventually pasteurized a total of 52 bottles, but 2 of them gave me my first lesson in bottle bombs! Not sure how high I jumped, but swmbo cleared the couch by 6". Both detonations were inside my large brew kettle, one in my hand (holding top with thick silicone oven mitt, bottom of bottle blew off underwater), the other blew the top third of the bottle off with the lid closed (thankfully). The caps domed slightly on all of them. Some of them are now in the fridge, I'll test cold carb level tonight. The rest are not, to verify that yeasties are indeed deceased. All else aside, my taste tests so far have been very tasty (in spite of minor syrup floaties)! Bottom line, swmbo likes it!

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #905
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

cider.jpg

Post-pasteurization perfection! Perfect "pfft!" Tiny bubbles! Amazing smell and flavor! Many thanks to all who posted, especially UpstateMike!
Primary:
Secondary:

Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #906
WannabeBeerNerd
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have been enjoying my first batch of this for about 3 weeks and have my second batch cold crashing right now...flat out awesome, but while reading some of the posts about pasteurizing I just remembered what happened last week...had made and bottled my first batch and while bottling, no idea why now, I bottled one 22oz bomber along with my other regular 12 ozers. Pasteurized everything and made the point of keeping the bomber at pasteurization temps what I thought would have been plenty of time, at least five times as long as the reg. bottles...anyway, all the 12s are great, but the 22 apparently didn't die and kept carbing because about a week after pasteurization it LAUNCHED itself off the top of my fridge and shattered on my stove...15 foot radius spray of glass and cider...lesson learned only bottle back sweetened cider in consistently sized easy to measure pasteurization bottles

Old 03-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #907
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

question about the newer version of the recipe (on page 42): should the whole amount of caramel syrup should be added to the bottling bucket or just 12 oz. like in the original recipe?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #908
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Recipe for Caramel Syrup: (Make about 24 hours before bottling)
2 cups of water
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, OR 1/2 tsp liquid cinnamon extract
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a low boil. At boil, reduce heat to Low and simmer for about 5 minutes. (EDIT: Removed "Reduce by half". This may have been making the syrup too thick to properly mix) Let cool & bottle for future use.

Make the Caramel Syrup and wait 24 hours before proceeding.

After 24 hours, siphon cider into your bottling bucket. Add the Caramel Syrup and the 3 cans of apple juice concentrate while siphoning to aid in mixing. Bottle the cider and enjoy.
I think the original and edited versions say the same thing: add the whole batch of syrup. If you're referring to the "reduce by half" in the original version, that refers to how long you simmer it, not how much you add. He took that out though and said "simmer for 5 minutes." Yes, this leaves more syrup, but it's less concentrated than the original version, keeping the amount of sugar about the same, and it mixes better being thinner. I added the whole batch per the edited version and it turned out great, not at all overpowering. Just make sure to mix a lot during bottling.
Primary:
Secondary:
sathrovarr Likes This 
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #909
sathrovarr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
I think the original and edited versions say the same thing: add the whole batch of syrup. If you're referring to the "reduce by half" in the original version, that refers to how long you simmer it, not how much you add. He took that out though and said "simmer for 5 minutes." Yes, this leaves more syrup, but it's less concentrated than the original version, keeping the amount of sugar about the same, and it mixes better being thinner. I added the whole batch per the edited version and it turned out great, not at all overpowering. Just make sure to mix a lot during bottling.
Thanks,
Will do

Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #910
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathrovarr View Post
question about the newer version of the recipe (on page 42): should the whole amount of caramel syrup should be added to the bottling bucket or just 12 oz. like in the original recipe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
I think the original and edited versions say the same thing: add the whole batch of syrup.
Yes, add ALL of the syrup.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Quick Reply