Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #891
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 265

This is an awesome thread; thanks for starting it USMike, and to all the other contributors! Before I found this thread today, I started a cider 12 days ago with 5.25 gallons of Safeway juice and Wyeast Cider 4766 at about 64 degrees. OG was 1.045; 7 days later it was 1.020. My plan is to let it go to about 1.000, back sweeten with the recommended 3 cans of concentrate, bottle/carb, pasteurize, and end up with a nice, crisp, sweet-but-not-too-sweet cider. At this point I think I'm going to forgo the syrup and shoot for a slightly sweeter version of Strongbow. What are anyone's thoughts on opting out of the syrup, or any other details of my attempt?

Update: My cider was 1.003 last night after work. Nice and dry, but still very appley and yummy and yellow with a decent cloudiness. I think I'll put 1 can of AJ concentrate in my bottling bucket and rack onto it, then give it a sip. If necessary I may use 2 or 3 or whatever it takes to get it where I want it (and make swmbo happy), then bottle. I'll fill one 12oz soda bottle and give it a daily squeeze, then pop a glass bottle when the plastic one firms up. When I get a nice pffft I'll pasteurize. Any thoughts? By the way, the full caramel recipe is definitely getting done this Fall!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #892
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got 5 gallons fermenting away. Should be ready to keg in a week.

Now I just have to clear a keg for it.

Bad news is after next week my Keezer won't have anything "ready to go" on tap. Everything will be conditioning.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #893
desrtdwller
Recipes 

So I popped this recipe in the other night and now about 4 days later I am at 1.010

My fermentation room is usually pretty warm, around 74-76. Is this gonna cause me problems? The liquid in my carboy is very light colored but completely cloudy and opaque. I haven't tasted it yet but the speed at which it fermented concerns me though I am sure it is due to the temp of the room I am fermenting in.

I am going to build a son of fermentation chiller soon to slow down my fermentation times....

Thoughts?

~DD

Old 03-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #894
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Mine fermented down to1014 in 4 days at about 24-25 C (75-77 F). I racked onto the concentrate and syrup and bottled. It carbed in about 2 days and I pasteurised. It has conditioned perfectly in the bottle since and is a quite clear, has a rich colour and tastes great (if you like it sweet).

Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #895
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Swmbo said I should go with the syrup, so I did (of course), and 3 cans of concentrate, which brought me back up from 1.003 to 1.018. Bottled yesterday. Had almost a full bottle left over. OMGAWD is that stuff good!!! It had a little fizz to it already, so the plastic soda test bottle firmed up pretty quickly, not quite as firm as the unopened Coke next to it though (for comparison). Probably pasteurize tomorrow, after only 2 days. Before and during bottling I stirred the hell out of it to keep the syrup suspended; it wanted to settle. I think I got a pretty even mix, tiny bit of sediment and cinnamon in each bottle. Nice golden color! Can't wait!

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner
Newsman Likes This 
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #896
MisterWoody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am in the process of brewing my first cider. I wish I had seen this recipe before I started! I have a question about pasturizing. Can a cider be bottle carbed and pasteurized in plastic PET beer bottles or is there something inherently dangerous about heating plastic? I have not purchased bottles yet but I want to keep it cheap and easy and the liter PET bottles you can find on amazon are tempting. Any feedback or suggestions?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #897
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWoody
I am in the process of brewing my first cider. I wish I had seen this recipe before I started! I have a question about pasturizing. Can a cider be bottle carbed and pasteurized in plastic PET beer bottles or is there something inherently dangerous about heating plastic? I have not purchased bottles yet but I want to keep it cheap and easy and the liter PET bottles you can find on amazon are tempting. Any feedback or suggestions?
I'm pretty sure heating the PET bottles to the necessary point for pasteurization would cause some pretty crazy deformations in the plastic and possibly even melt it.

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #898
Channel66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1048 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Excited to give this a try.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.— David Rains Wallace

Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #899
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterWoody View Post
I would not recommend using plastic PET bottles if you plan on heat pasteurizing.

Find a local bottle redemption center, you may be able to score used glass bottles cheap.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #900
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Kegged my batch of this a little over a week ago. Finally took it around to some friends for an impromptu tasting tonight. Both of these guys have palates that are pretty well developed and one has extensive judging experience. Both thought it was outstanding, possibly the best cider they had ever had. It is also a huge hit with SWMBO and another lovely lady that sampled some. I think this one is an all around winner.

Will ride for beer!

Quick Reply