Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #821
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebstock View Post
I am looking at doing this recipe this fall from fresh apples. I have 65 apple trees on my property. Someone said I would have to know what type of apples I have because only certain varieties will produce a decent cider. Is this guy full of it or is there some truth to this?
There's truth. Most of our apples are "eating" vs cooking/baking/cider here in the us. Real cider apples out of, say, the UK, are different varieties. That's why the cider out of the UK, in my opinion, is far better than what we have here.

But, everyone's tastes are different!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #822
davebstock
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I may have to try a batch just to see what comes of it. As long as I can crush/press without investing in equipment. If it works out, I can make a whole lot of cider off of 65 trees for the price of yeast.

1 Timothy 5:23

Newsman Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #823
Quesplosive
Recipes 

Guys make sure to check your labels on the concentrate because the one I added had preservatives and killed my yeast. So that explains why my cider never carb'ed up. Its still good though and everyone likes it. Oh well you live and you learn.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #824
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

USM, I just started this today and I made my Carmel syrup now instead of later. My question is my syrup doesn't seem to have mixed proper. I have a sugar gel that sits in some of the remaining water and the cinnamon is strong. Will the constancy not matter and the cinnamon mellow out when mixed with the cider. Or is this all normal?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #825
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge
USM, I just started this today and I made my Carmel syrup now instead of later. My question is my syrup doesn't seem to have mixed proper. I have a sugar gel that sits in some of the remaining water and the cinnamon is strong. Will the constancy not matter and the cinnamon mellow out when mixed with the cider. Or is this all normal?
I made my syrup last week and the cinnamon aroma was very strong. I double the remaining ingredients to get a double batch at half the cinnamon amount. The final syrup product smelled really nice with the cinnamon not being so overpowering but when I mixed it into the cider, the cinnamon flavour was all but lost.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #826
thejudge
Recipes 

So the cinnamon will mellow out ok then, but did you have a problem with the syrup like I did?

Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #827
thejudge
Recipes 

Also has anyone played with adding more dextrose in the beginning? My juice started the same as USM, sg was 1.051 and I added the 2lbs of sugar and got 1.069. I wanted more alcohol so I added another lbs of sugar and got a og of 1.75. I figured with a target gravity if 1.10-1.015 I should get around 7.5-8%

Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 AM   #828
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge
So the cinnamon will mellow out ok then, but did you have a problem with the syrup like I did?
My syrup itself was consistent but sat on bottom of brew, took some gentle mixing to get it into the brew solution.

I only reduced the syrup mixture recipe to about 400mL (2 cups sugar, 2 cups water reduced to 400mL).

I racked from primary onto the syrup then racked that into bottling bucket to help mix it too.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #829
WannabeBeerNerd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just bottled my first batch of this 2 says ago and have 2 comments...

First, had no trouble mixing the syrup, but I kept it and the aj concentrate mixed together and warmish on the stove(110-120f)...little gentle stirring after racking to the bottling bucket and it mixed perfect

Second, the SG in the recipe I think is misleading some people, being a cider with nothing but simple sugars it will ferment down to 1.000 or below(mine was 0.999), but my back sweetening took it back up to 1.011...when you are calculating the ABV it is with the pre back sweetening numbers

Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #830
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Made this once so far. Mine has been in bottles about 2 weeks now, stove top pasteurized 4 days after bottling. I used 3 cans of aj and syrup to back sweeten. It tastes like a run of the mill cider to me, I don't get any of the caramel taste.

I think I'll give it another try and increase the amount of cinnamon, sub 1 lb of dextrose for brown sugar, add a bit of honey to the mix and use some washed wyeast 1272 that I have on hand.

Thank you Jerry!

Quick Reply