Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #801
ellicit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: , UTAH
Posts: 85
Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Default

If you need to give the bottles a gentle turning to mix the yeast and sugar, raise temp to low-mid 70's.

__________________
ellicit is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #802
harleyman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Has anyone used cane sugar instead of corn sugar for this recipe? If so is it just as good?

__________________
harleyman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #803
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
MidTNJasonF's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Posts: 447
Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Put 3 gallons of this up yesterday. No airlock activity yet but I am getting a bit of yeast bloom on the top so hopefully things are progressing well enough.

__________________

Will ride for beer!

MidTNJasonF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #804
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brockport, NY
Posts: 715
Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
Has anyone used cane sugar instead of corn sugar for this recipe? If so is it just as good?
I haven't used it, but you might want to check out this thread, Corn VS Cane Sugar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
UpstateMike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #805
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brockport, NY
Posts: 715
Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNJasonF View Post
Put 3 gallons of this up yesterday. No airlock activity yet but I am getting a bit of yeast bloom on the top so hopefully things are progressing well enough.
Are you using Nottingham? I have found that the Notty can be deceptive, producing almost no krausen, but fermenting away just as it should be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
UpstateMike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #806
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Towaco, NJ
Posts: 370
Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Are you using Nottingham? I have found that the Notty can be deceptive, producing almost no krausen, but fermenting away just as it should be.
And THAT'S the reason I'll be using a 5 gal secondary for this batch next time allowing an open primary!
__________________
pwortiz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #807
MidTNJasonF
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
MidTNJasonF's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Posts: 447
Liked 61 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Are you using Nottingham? I have found that the Notty can be deceptive, producing almost no krausen, but fermenting away just as it should be.
Yes Nottingham and it has only been 24 hours so I did not expect a typical beer krausen layer. My OG was 1.072. 3 gallons of apple juice from three different sources and 19 oz of dextrose. It is sitting at 68 degrees right now.
__________________

Will ride for beer!

MidTNJasonF is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #808
renderman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Thanks for the time and effort Mike, Im thinking of mixing this up with the following changes:

1. cutting the carmel and cinnamon by half
2. adding 1 or 2 split vanilla beans into the secondary for a few days
3. im going to ferment with Pacman yeast as well

im also thinking of adding about 4 oz of malto dextrine for an added layer of complexity

other then that it will be your new and improved recipe ...

anyone see any issues with the above changes?

__________________
renderman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #809
Bobbys
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 17
Likes Given: 3

Default my first attempt

Just bottled my first attempt at this cider. Hit most of the numbers, juice was 1.050, addedd sugar to mix= s.g 1.064, after 14 days it was 1.012-1.014. Bottled it up with the syrup and 3 cans of frozen juice. My main concern is I've never bottled anything that wasn't finished its fermentation. Was this supposed to be finished at 1.010-1.014 ?
A little worried now that I've bottled my 5 gal batch will be all over my floor when I get home tonight.

__________________
Bobbys is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #810
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brockport, NY
Posts: 715
Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbys View Post
Just bottled my first attempt at this cider. Hit most of the numbers, juice was 1.050, addedd sugar to mix= s.g 1.064, after 14 days it was 1.012-1.014. Bottled it up with the syrup and 3 cans of frozen juice. My main concern is I've never bottled anything that wasn't finished its fermentation. Was this supposed to be finished at 1.010-1.014 ?
A little worried now that I've bottled my 5 gal batch will be all over my floor when I get home tonight.
Copied from the instructions:
"If you are carbing in the bottle, be aware that this will carb up fast (4 - 5 days) due to all the sugar. When it is time to bottle the batch, I highly recommend that you fill and cap a plastic pop bottle (NOT a water bottle) first, and use that as a guide to tell you when it will be time to Stovetop Pasteurize the batch."

Keep an eye on the carb levels. if you didn't use a plastic test bottle, you may have to pop the top on a bottle in a couple days and see how it is going.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider
UpstateMike is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Caramel Apple Cider success. oldmate Cider Forum 6 03-30-2011 03:26 AM
Caramel apple cider Chaos_Being Cider Forum 87 02-02-2011 04:58 PM
caramel apple cider lunchbox Cider Forum 4 11-03-2010 09:46 AM
Caramel Apple Cider NurseNan Cider Forum 9 02-05-2007 01:34 AM
caramel hard cider colinwilson Cider Forum 3 10-11-2006 10:18 PM