Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #731
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thinking if someone does not want to make cinnamon extract, what about melting red hot candies or even the hard cinnamon disk candies?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #732
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Thinking if someone does not want to make cinnamon extract, what about melting red hot candies or even the hard cinnamon disk candies?
Who said anything about making cinnamon extract? You can buy it at Walmart. Much easier than trying to melt redhots.

McCormic Cinnamon Extract at Walmart

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #733
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Not mentioned cinnamon extract, but if anyone has a method for making something to substitute for the frozen AJ concentrate ( it's not available in the UK it seems) then that would be great.

I tried boiling down a ltr or two of apple juice but , whilst it was concentrated, it wasn't sweet and the end product didn't back sweeten my cider at all. I've taken to cutting it with lemonade, because there's dry and there's "here drink this, I want to see what your face looks like inside out".

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #734
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post

Who said anything about making cinnamon extract? You can buy it at Walmart. Much easier than trying to melt redhots.

McCormic Cinnamon Extract at Walmart
Was not aware if the extract was homemade or storebought. Plus there are some out there who like to walk on the wild side and use things like redhots or such. Making a cinnamon extract is so very easy and most who make their own extracts shudder to purchase the commercial alternative. Just options, that is all.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #735
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspanner View Post
Not mentioned cinnamon extract, but if anyone has a method for making something to substitute for the frozen AJ concentrate ( it's not available in the UK it seems) then that would be great.

I tried boiling down a ltr or two of apple juice but , whilst it was concentrated, it wasn't sweet and the end product didn't back sweeten my cider at all. I've taken to cutting it with lemonade, because there's dry and there's "here drink this, I want to see what your face looks like inside out".
I make apple cider syrup by slow simmering fresh pressed cider until it has reduced in volume by at least half. It caramelizes while it reduces.
You can also freeze concentrate the apple juice. Pour into open top wide mouth container and place in freezer until just the top starts to ice over, remove that ice. Repeat, repeat, repeat until you are left with apple concentrate.
Another alternative, freeze juice in gallon increments in bucket until rock solid. Remove from bucket, invert into large funnel and allow to drip thaw. The sugary juice will thaw first, leaving ice behind. Can use refractometer to determine when to dispose of remaining ice block. This is a common method for making ice style wine.

Newsman Likes This 
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #736
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspanner

I reduce 2.4L to 400mL and seems to do the job well. Takes frickin' ages though. Sickly sweet on its own, I used 1.6L of my concentrate in my last 23L brew. Removed the super dryness from the brew and carbed up a treat. Didn't make a sweet brew but I wasn't after that personally.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #737
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Saramc and Fossey, thanks for the tips I'll try again with this one!

Cheers.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #738
Shohan
Recipes 

I was trying really hard not to make a post like this, but I screwed up. (First brew ever. Sue me.)

Everything was perfect until I went to pitch the yeast and ended up pitching about half of it on the floor. I didn't try to save what I had already spilled, but I did pour the rest of the package into the carboy and continued the recipe.

So I'm at an unknown point right now. Will I be fine and it will just take longer to ferment since I've reduced the number of yeast? Don't tell me RDWHAHB?

Or should I take a drive and pick up some more Nottingham from the LHBS?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #739
badboygator
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohan
I was trying really hard not to make a post like this, but I screwed up. (First brew ever. Sue me.)

Everything was perfect until I went to pitch the yeast and ended up pitching about half of it on the floor. I didn't try to save what I had already spilled, but I did pour the rest of the package into the carboy and continued the recipe.

So I'm at an unknown point right now. Will I be fine and it will just take longer to ferment since I've reduced the number of yeast? Don't tell me RDWHAHB?

You should be fine the little yeasties will do that thing they do and may take a few days longer to do it but all should be ok
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #740
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohan View Post

Sweet cider is really fermentable, so I vote with badboygator that you should be fine. FYI this is the only thing I have ever brewed that went BELOW 1.00. Did you do a starter or just toss the dry yeast into the fermenter?

Quick Reply