Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #521
mikeslag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hey guys, like brand new at brewing and at this forum, stumbled on this recipe by accident and am super excited.

So, first post on the forum, and this will be my first attempt at anything besides wine kits.

I've read all 500+ posts in this posting and just have a quick question, what are the benefits of still v. carbonated? And can I do some of one and some of the other in one batch? Was considering warming this up in the crock pot or something during those cold winter nights. Thoughts??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #522
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslag
Hey guys, like brand new at brewing and at this forum, stumbled on this recipe by accident and am super excited.

So, first post on the forum, and this will be my first attempt at anything besides wine kits.

I've read all 500+ posts in this posting and just have a quick question, what are the benefits of still v. carbonated? And can I do some of one and some of the other in one batch? Was considering warming this up in the crock pot or something during those cold winter nights. Thoughts??
Yup you can do half and half. Just rack half onto campden and sorbate and just bottle and carb the other half. Difference is just whether you like a little bubbly or not. Personally, I like this one carbed. As for warming it up, never did that so can't speak to it.

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider
Springpatch Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 AM   #523
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Mulled wine is a...pretty interesting thought. I've had it and have thought it....less than fun to drink. Mulled cider I make every year but it's non-alcoholic and includes only oranges, lemons, cloves, and cinnamon sticks. I'm kind of curious what you think of Mike's Carmel Apple warmed up and MIGHT, now that you mentioned it, try 1 bottle that way. Otherwise, I like it just how it is. Still could be good and one person said (if i remember right) that some preferred it as such. I personally like the carbed version.

If you heat this baby up, please report back!

Old 10-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #524
ajohnson153
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I couldn't help but notice that this recipe is basically the same as Edwort's Apfelwein with a different yeast and backsweetened with the caramel and juice. I am wondering what difference the notty is going to make as opposed to the montrachet in the apfelwein. I can't wait to taste it before sweetening and see. It's bubbling away now.

If you're gonna do wrong buddy, do wrong right!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #525
mikeslag
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Alright sounds good to me. I think what I'll do is make a batch of this and do it mostly carbonated with maybe a 2 liters worth or something still and the rest bottled up, it just sounds too good carbonated not to bottled. I'll let you know if it's delicious and probably make another batch and if it's not delicious...well that's all part of the fun. This forum is amazing, thanks for everything you guys are doing here!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #526
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springpatch
I think what my problem was, was my air lock didn't have enough fluid. After that it started bubbling every second. though I gotta admit I was pretty damn happy to see it bubbling away in the bucket.
Gotta keep that airlock filled! A dry airlock will let in the nasties. I had a couple fruited apfelwines go lacto thanks to dry airlock and fruit flies...worked out in the end, but was not planned.
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus
Springpatch Likes This 
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #527
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153
I couldn't help but notice that this recipe is basically the same as Edwort's Apfelwein with a different yeast and backsweetened with the caramel and juice. I am wondering what difference the notty is going to make as opposed to the montrachet in the apfelwein. I can't wait to taste it before sweetening and see. It's bubbling away now.
In general, the wine and champagne yeasts will produce cleaner products with winelike esters, ale yeasts will produce more cidery products with more phenols and an absence of sulfur.
FERMENTING: Black Imp
SOUR PROGRAM: Misterioux Ayahel, Ommedubbel, Pucker Knight, Lambicus Minimus
Springpatch Likes This 
Old 10-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #528
tevis42
Recipes 

Hey all, I just brewed this batch using USMike's recipe and pitched wyeast's cider strain (4766) instead of the Notty...anyone else use this? Interested to see how it turns out...

Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #529
manco171
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'll be trying this one in the near future. Hope it turns out as good as the others. Waiting on the yeast and bottles. Soon come!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #530
GAHokie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quick question: Maybe I'm mis-reading the directions. I bought all the ingredients, but are you supposed to just dump the dry yeast in the fermenter or do you pitch the yeast (usually with EC 116 or EC 118, I have to pitch it in warm water).

Quick Reply