Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #511
Springpatch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

I added dextrose first and now thinking back I believe around 1.06ish would be right. Also I added more vodka to the air lock and she started to bubble again. After I post this I am taking the pail down stairs where it usually is around 67-72F. I don't get how the cider is making that much heat seeing as it is in a room that is around 70 all day and night. Maybe a bad spot in the house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #512
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It's probably just your bucket. Mine didn't bubble for a couple days. When I opened it to see what was going on, it looked bubbly, like the yeasties were workin. Took a hydro sample and closed the lid. It then immediately started bubbling. I must have had the co2 escaping out somewhere else. Lids and buckets are kinda crappy like that. There is nothing wrong with the fermentation though being that the co2 escaping and not letting anything in anyways. I guess my drawn out point though is the ONLY way to check how fermentation is going is with your hydrometer. Bloop sounds mean nothing.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #513
Springpatch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

I think what my problem was, was my air lock didn't have enough fluid. After that it started bubbling every second. though I gotta admit I was pretty damn happy to see it bubbling away in the bucket.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #514
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMang
Bloop sounds mean nothing.
But they are oh so satisfying!

This looks like a great cider to try. I am going to make up some cinnamon essence first because one thing that will put SWMBO off is cinnamon bits floating around.

I suppose you could put some cinnamon sticks loosely crushed into a reusable tea bag.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #515
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcspanner

I suppose you could put some cinnamon sticks loosely crushed into a reusable tea bag.
Yea I've had a hard time finding cinnamon extract and was thinking about put sticks in the boiling water/ brown sugar. Anyone have any idea about the number of sticks/ length of time?

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 10-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #516
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeaven

Yea I've had a hard time finding cinnamon extract and was thinking about put sticks in the boiling water/ brown sugar. Anyone have any idea about the number of sticks/ length of time?
I couldn't find any either which is why I thought of making my own, looks straight forward enough just needs some patience.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5520757_make...n-extract.html

I'm doing this one.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #517
nyrangers955
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just finished my first batch of this and its Amazing! I ended up adding 3 cans of apple concentrate and full amount of Caramel syrup. I decided to stop fermentation at 1.010 and was a little too sweet for me. So...While sipping on a few cold glasses of this cider, I decided on a 2nd batch with some variations. Let me know what you think

I added 3 lbs. Dextrose. My gravity regarding is 1.072. I want to ferment down to 1.004. I decided to use WLP775 (English cider yeast). Going to back sweeten with a few cans (starting with 2 and going by taste) of apple concentrate and skip the caramel sauce.

I know it sound simple but something is telling me I may have trouble carbonating in bottles.

Anyone agree? Has anyone tried this or something similar? I’m really looking for a dry simple cider....

What’s everyone think?

Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #518
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't think skipping the caramel sauce is really going to do much. If you wanted it kind if dry, just add the concentrate and bottle. Probably enough sugar in there to let the yeast eat and still giving it slight sweetness. If you're worried just stir some more sugar into the concentrate before bottling. Still would use the coke bottle method of carbonation checking. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #519
buckeyebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hello, i am getting readybto bottle this tonite. It is going to be my first cider and I was wondering if aftert bottling should i put the bottles in the fridge to carbonate or just at room temp and then pasturize after i get the right carbonation level. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #520
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrew View Post
Hello, i am getting readybto bottle this tonite. It is going to be my first cider and I was wondering if aftert bottling should i put the bottles in the fridge to carbonate or just at room temp and then pasturize after i get the right carbonation level. Thanks!
Keep it at room temp. If you bottle then put right in the fridge, the yeast will hibernate and and it will never carb (well maybe, but it may take years). So keep at room temp, make sure you use a PET bottle to test carb level. Then pasteurize when you have the right carb level (3-5 days).

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Quick Reply