Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #41
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willunc2005 View Post
Okay, so after I hit the low end of the recommended FG I bottled with the caramel sauce and apple juice concentrate. Two days later I open a bottle to check the carb and I see this "goo" has formed in the bottom of the bottles. I am pretty sure it is the concentrate and caramel separating into the bottom. Is that normal? Will it mix back into solution eventually? Has anyone else seen that happen?
Sediment will happen when bottle carbing. It is some of the yeast as well, but no worry, it won't kill anyone. If you want, you can swirl around before pouring, but that might make it slightly cloudy. Wait about a month before drinking, and serve chilled, like from the fridge.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #42
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here's an update on my latest batch. I checked SG last Thursday, it was almost there at 1.014. Went ahead and racked to the secondary. It was still somewhat cloudy. Checked
SG on Sunday at it was down to 1.006 so decided to bottle. Tasted pretty good before back sweetening. Half of the batch went into 750ml wine bottles for still cider and the other half went into beer bottles to carb up. Stove top pasteurized the wine bottles. I'll check one of the beer bottles at 4 days for carb level. Pretty tasty stuff. Goes down very easy. This stuff might get me in trouble....might not want to share with the wife.
Again thanks USMike for sharing the recipe.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #43
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbangie View Post
Here's an update on my latest batch. I checked SG last Thursday, it was almost there at 1.014. Went ahead and racked to the secondary. It was still somewhat cloudy. Checked
SG on Sunday at it was down to 1.006 so decided to bottle. Tasted pretty good before back sweetening. Half of the batch went into 750ml wine bottles for still cider and the other half went into beer bottles to carb up. Stove top pasteurized the wine bottles. I'll check one of the beer bottles at 4 days for carb level. Pretty tasty stuff. Goes down very easy. This stuff might get me in trouble....might not want to share with the wife.
Again thanks USMike for sharing the recipe.
If you think it tastes good now, try it again in a month and let me know what you think.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23
Newsman Likes This 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #44
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Will do...I think I'll start another batch in the mean time. I'm thinking I'll change one thing. I'll use an ale yeast and be patient with fermentation.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:30 AM   #45
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update...popped open a bottle of the carb'd version tonight the carb level is perfect so I'll pasteurize. If anyone is looking for a good cider recipe I highly recommend this one. Folks this stuff is absolutely awesome. USMike you have a superb recipe. I poured this first carb'd bottle over a couple ice cubes and HOLY POOP...and that's after just 4 days in the bottle. I wanted to get the French Vanilla ice cream out. If I can wrangle it I'll be starting a second batch this weekend. Want to be able to repeat. Thanks again USMike.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #46
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

That sounds like a great recipe. Im going to give it a shot this weekend. Ive never made cider or beer before so this will be my first go around with carbonation. Ive done a few fruit wines on my own, a really good raspberry mead, and a couple wine kits. I really want to brew and bottle a good carbonated beverage. But im a little intimidated by the whole process, bottle bombs etc. Ive read this thread probably 20 times, as well as the home pasturization method, also located in the forum. Wish me luck, any tips, or experience tricks would certainly be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 AM   #47
SirElven
Recipes 

You only ferment this for 24 hours before you bottle? Or am I very confused by this?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #48
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirElven View Post
You only ferment this for 24 hours before you bottle? Or am I very confused by this?
Let it ferment to approx a SG of 1.015, then rack to a secondary carboy to clear for 24 hours, then bottle.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #49
SirElven
Recipes 

Never mind sorry

Old 04-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #50
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ezbonzo01, How you doing on your first batch? Took a few bottles of both carbed and still to the family Easter get together and it went over big. The consensus was in favor of the still version. Getting a delayed start on my second batch. Will start this weekend keeping everything the same except I'll use Nottingham Ale dry yeast instead of wine yeast.

Quick Reply