Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #441
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

So I bottled this tonight. Syrup stayed together and flavor was very good. I got it down to 1.010, made caramel according to directions. Disappointment for me was the cinnamon seemed to seperate out. Perhaps I did not boil caramel long enough for it to bind with sugar. As this is my first cider I followed original directions to the letter.

We will see how it shapes up to be ready for Turkey Day! Gooble, Gobble Gurgle Gurgle

Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #442
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepFL View Post
Disappointment for me was the cinnamon seemed to seperate out.
This is also the reason that in the revised recipe (on page 42) I added the possible use of liquid cinnamon extract instead of powdered cinnamon. When I first made this, the same thing happened. Don't worry too much, there will be enough cinnamon in each bottle.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 10-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #443
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike

This is also the reason that in the revised recipe (on page 42) I added the possible use of liquid cinnamon extract instead of powdered cinnamon. When I first made this, the same thing happened. Don't worry too much, there will be enough cinnamon in each bottle.
Maybe the edits could/should be made to the original post? Or at least a link to the updated version. I had a tough time locating it on the mobile version since the pages don't match up with the website pages

Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #444
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
Maybe the edits could/should be made to the original post? Or at least a link to the updated version. I had a tough time locating it on the mobile version since the pages don't match up with the website pages
The forum software wont allow edits to the original post, too much time has passed. But here is a link to the updated recipe.

Updated Recipe
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #445
dgrums
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I have a question. I have this recipe fermenting now and I believe it is almost done. I'm planning on racking this to my secondary and adding campden tablets this weekend before kegging. However, I bought the apple juice in 2 gallon sets and used 5 leaving one left over that I'm probably not going to drink. Would it be possible to add dextrose to my leftover gallon and add it to the primary with the yeast cake (after racking my fermented batch to the secondary) and let that one go? It's a 6 gallon fermenting bucket. Is that entirely too much headspace (1 gallon juice + yeast cake in 6 gallon fermenter)? Will this cause any problems? Thanks

Old 10-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #446
HopHeaven
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrums
I have a question. I have this recipe fermenting now and I believe it is almost done. I'm planning on racking this to my secondary and adding campden tablets this weekend before kegging. However, I bought the apple juice in 2 gallon sets and used 5 leaving one left over that I'm probably not going to drink. Would it be possible to add dextrose to my leftover gallon and add it to the primary with the yeast cake (after racking my fermented batch to the secondary) and let that one go? It's a 6 gallon fermenting bucket. Is that entirely too much headspace (1 gallon juice + yeast cake in 6 gallon fermenter)? Will this cause any problems? Thanks
I'd wash the yeast and save it for your next batch

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #447
Knapptime
Recipes 

Thanks for setting me straight guys

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #448
BenRuss
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I transferred this to the carboy to clear fit 24 hours and made the original syrup (perhaps an addition is on order) mine seperated as well. Anyway, started at 1.066 and got down to 1.010 last night. I will do three tins concentrate and the syrup. Here is last night right after racking and this morning 9 hours later.

image-2050247939.jpg   image-1630321491.jpg  

Old 10-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #449
Biohazard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Are you using Nottingham? What temp are you fermenting at? I usually don't get much of a krausen from Notty.
I am using WLP001 California Ale yeast, as I have a bit higher temps than you, I am fermenting at 70-74.

After 3 days of major krausen forming, it has calmed down and is bubbling along nicely.

Thanks for the recipe! Next batch starts this weekend, this time with Saison yeast.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #450
Garyr2973
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Is he adding the 12 oz of caramel syrup to the ingredients in part 2?

Quick Reply