Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #421
UpstateMike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrew View Post
I am getting ready to try this. Thanks for the recipe. I noticed that it is recommended that you test carbonation with a plastic bottle to help prevent glass bottle bombs. I was wwondering what you do with the remaining primed cider while testing with the plastic bottles. Thanks.
Bottle the entire batch at the same time. When I bottle, the first bottle is a plastic one and one of the last bottles (when there is about 1 gallon left in the bucket) is also a plastic one. When they get hard to squeeze, like a new unopened pop bottle from the store, it is time to pasteurize the rest of the batch in the glass bottles. Open the first plastic bottle and pour into a glass to verify that you don't have an overcarbonation issue. DO NOT pasteurize any remaining plastic bottles, just put them in the fridge and drink them later.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #422
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Just finished "brewing" up a batch of this, true to the OP recipe. I used Langer's AJ.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #423
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

OK -
I made a batch of this per Mike's original directions. My OG 1.068, now 7 days later I am at 1.010 (below recipe target) so I racked to secondary glass carboy.
I am looking for something on the fresh picked apple sweet side with a kick. Looks like I can back sweeten to taste.
So do I bottle to taste within the 24hrs? OR do let it continue to ferment down then sweeten to taste?
Will be doing stove top pasterization.

So I think I got my answer on this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/fg-1-020-too-high-357506/

Be the person you would want as a friend because at the end of the game the King and Pawn go in the same box.

Last edited by ShepFL; 10-07-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Got my answer from another thread posted today.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #424
SeanMcClellan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just wanted to chime in and say I have just made a 1 Gallon scaled down version of the original recipe with about half the called-for FCAJ. Bottled a week ago and just tried one to check carb level (still a little undercarbed). This stuff is fantastic! Especially for how quick of a turn-around it is! Kudos to OP!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #425
yosysfire
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I made this per the recipe, going for a still cider. Tried one two days after bottling, it was wonderful but needed a few weeks of age. Fast-forward 3 weeks, I open one and to my surprise I get a gusher! I open a second it’s confirmed, these things are carb'd! I should have known better but for some reason I figured the campden tabs would have taken care of the yeast. I should have pasteurized.
For now, the remaining bottles are in the fridge until I figure what to do with them. Any suggestions on what to do? I was thinking of pouring them back into a bucket, waiting a few days; bottle again, this time pasteurize? Has this happen to anyone else?

Thanks
Adam

Old 10-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #426
Biohazard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Started a batch on Saturday, 5 gallons treetop cider from walmart, 2 pounds dextrose and pitched WLP001 (California Ale) at 70 degrees. OG of 1.065, by Sunday night had a nice flow of bubbles, this morning I had tons of crude in my airlock, cleaned it out and re-sanitized it all. So far so good. Looking forward to this, this is my first attempt at a cider. Cheers!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #427
dgrums
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I started this last night about 8 PM. Used 5 gallons Kirkland apple juice with the Nottingham yeast and 2 pounds of dextrose. OG of 1.062. Getting bubbles already. So far so good. I was planning on using campden tables to stop fermentation around 1.005 to 1.010, back sweeten and then force carb in the keg. Should I be worried the campden tablets won't kill fermentation? If so, how would you recommend I pasteurize in a corney keg/batch?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #428
ewibolo
Recipes 

Just my advice...I tried the recipe with 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 can of concentrate. Next time, I'll only do the brown sugar and see how it is then. I like a dry cider and for me, even the 1 can of concentrate made it a little too sweet.
I used Nottingham yeast and it fermented down to 1000, then added campden & potassium sorbate, and the 2 cups of the caramel syrup, and 1 can concentrate then kegged and carbonated it. It tastes pretty good, but next time, I'll hold on the extra can of concentrate. You can always add more, but you can't take it out.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #429
Biohazard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As an update, been fermenting for 3 days now, had to clean my airlock twice. 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket, about 30 bubbles per minute. Will take a gravity reading tonight, my guess is the end is getting near, this is going fast. During cleaning the airlock smelt FANTASTIC.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #430
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
As an update, been fermenting for 3 days now, had to clean my airlock twice. 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon bucket, about 30 bubbles per minute. Will take a gravity reading tonight, my guess is the end is getting near, this is going fast. During cleaning the airlock smelt FANTASTIC.
Are you using Nottingham? What temp are you fermenting at? I usually don't get much of a krausen from Notty.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Quick Reply