Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #31
willunc2005
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've been looking for a great sweet cider to try as my 1st and this sounds like it. I do, however, have a question. If I want to do a half recipe and start in a 3 gallon carboy, can I actually use just half of the amounts for each ingredient? I want to bottle carb and then pasteurize, so will there be an issue with over carbing or will watching for a good FG prevent that just as with a full batch?
I think a lot of people on here must be engineers or chemists, but I'm a lawyer so please use small words and speak slowly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #32
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by willunc2005 View Post
I've been looking for a great sweet cider to try as my 1st and this sounds like it. I do, however, have a question. If I want to do a half recipe and start in a 3 gallon carboy, can I actually use just half of the amounts for each ingredient?
Sure.

Quote:
I want to bottle carb and then pasteurize, so will there be an issue with over carbing or will watching for a good FG prevent that just as with a full batch?
I have two 16 ounce plastic bottles. They use screw on caps, just like a pop bottle. These are the first and last bottles filled for each batch. When they carb up, the bottles get firmer. When they get to the right firmness, like an unopened pop bottle, then i know it is time to stovetop pasteurize. With the batch I did, it took about a week to carb up, but this can vary due to temperature where you have the bottles sitting while they carb up.

Quote:
I think a lot of people on here must be engineers or chemists, but I'm a lawyer so please use small words and speak slowly.
Ohhhhhhhhhh. Kayyyyyyyyyy.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #33
willunc2005
Recipes 

Thanks, Mike. I reread my post and had a duh moment about the ingredients. I'm pretty sure I had a reason to wonder that and for the life of me I don't know it. Maybe it was my OCD shining through.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #34
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willunc2005
Thanks, Mike. I reread my post and had a duh moment about the ingredients. I'm pretty sure I had a reason to wonder that and for the life of me I don't know it. Maybe it was my OCD shining through.
When you cut a recipe, you can't just cut the priming sugar in half. If you are using this bcksweeten/pasteurize method, overcarbing isn't a big problem I guess.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Made Edworts Aplewien for my first cider. It's been bottled for about 3 weeks now. Early sampling, it seems a little vinegary and it's dry. Not my cup of tea if you will so USMikes recipe sounded more to my liking. Started a 2.5 gal batch 4 days ago. I used Red Star Montrachet yeast. The yeast is going to town. The wife's laundry room smells like apple rhino dung (never been close enough to a rhino to know what it smells like but I'll take the experts word on it)....she's putting up with for now. Made a batch of USM's carmel syrup. I plan on carbing half and making the other half still. For the still cider I plan on stove top pasteurizing right away after bottling into wine bottles. For carbing I'll bottle to beer bottles, I'll check the carb level after 2 weeks to determine to stove top pasteurize then or wait. My thinking is I'll have still and carbed from the exact same batch to determine which is more to my liking. Any other thoughts????

Old 03-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #36
willunc2005
Recipes 

My cider is really chugging along too, though it doesn't smell like anything but cider. I guess I'm lucky.
You may not want to wait 2 weeks before checking carb levels. It looks like this cider will carb quickly according to the more experienced members above.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #37
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbangie View Post
I used Red Star Montrachet yeast. The yeast is going to town.
Keep an eye on the SG, the Montrachet may ferment faster than the Nottingham, and I believe it has a higher alcohol tolerance.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #38
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Quote:
My cider is really chugging along too, though it doesn't smell like anything but cider. I guess I'm lucky.
You may not want to wait 2 weeks before checking carb levels. It looks like this cider will carb quickly according to the more experienced members above.
1 week may do it, but it will also depend on the temperature that you let it carb up. 1 week at mid 60's did it for me.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #39
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Mike...I'll check SG this weekend. The Montrachet is really getting after it judging from the air lock. Looking for an SG of 1.010, started at 1.074. That would be awesome if I could get it into the secondary this weekend. A big thanks for the recipe.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #40
willunc2005
Recipes 

Okay, so after I hit the low end of the recommended FG I bottled with the caramel sauce and apple juice concentrate. Two days later I open a bottle to check the carb and I see this "goo" has formed in the bottom of the bottles. I am pretty sure it is the concentrate and caramel separating into the bottom. Is that normal? Will it mix back into solution eventually? Has anyone else seen that happen? Or did I screw something up? Sorry for all of the questions.
P.S.- it smelled decent, there was quite a bit of alcohol initially, but then the apple and back sweetening came through. I've read that the alcohol smell and taste will temper with age. So I'm pleased with the taste so far!
In the pictures you can sort of see what I am talking about. I have a flashlight behind the bottle and I gently inverted it for a moment to see if it was in this bottle as well.

image-3803193345.jpg   image-1169044415.jpg  

Quick Reply