Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #331
ennis2000000000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

5 cans of Apple concentrate and Carmel how sweet is this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #332
Walshy87
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only added one can and still thought it was a bit sweeter than I like.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #333
ennis2000000000
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright I'll try this with one can then

Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #334
popeboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I pulled it out of primary after sitting for 17 days. Made the full batch of carmel cinnamon syrup and mixed it with 2 cans of concentrate.
Added that back in and stirred gently. Pulled a sample and tried it on ice while I was bottling and it was really good. After carbing up and sitting for a week I think this will be extremely tasty!
2 cans was good for me and I don't like my cider very sweet. Keep in mind that it was extremely dry from the Montrachet before I back sweetened so your mileage may vary with an ale yeast.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #335
popeboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Getting ready to mix all the fermented cider with the syrup and 2 cans of concentrate in the bucket prior to bottling...

FG reading before backsweetening...

Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #336
joetownhound
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Will this benefit from pectin enzyme addition? Was thinking about picking up the ingredients today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Ingredients, Part 1:
7 x 96 ounce bottles (5.25 gallons) Wegmans 100% Apple Juice, pasteurized, only vitamin C added
2 lbs. Dextrose
Nottingham Yeast

Ingredients, Part 2
5 campden tablets (Optional, see notes)
5 – 12 oz. cans of Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate, thawed to room temperature
12 oz. Caramel Syrup

Recipe for Caramel Syrup:
2 cups of water
2 cups of light brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. At boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes (until volume is reduced to half). Let cool & bottle for future use.

Part 1 (Started 1/7/12):
Opened 1 bottle of apple juice, got a gravity reading of 1.050. Temp is 64 degrees.

In a 6 gallon carboy, pour in bottles 1 and 2 of apple juice.

Open bottles 3 and 4 of apple juice. Pour half of each bottle into carboy. Add 1 pound dextrose per bottle to the remaining amount of apple juice in bottles 3 and 4. Shake bottles to mix sugar and apple juice. Pour bottles 3 and 4 into carboy.

Pour bottles 4, 5, and 6 of apple juice into carboy. Take another sample for OG, got a reading of 1.064. Open Nottingham yeast, pour into carboy. Agitate carboy to mix in yeast. Pour bottle 7 of apple juice into carboy.

Part 2 (In about 14 days):
Check for target FG of 1.010 to 1.015

Rack cider into a 5 gallon carboy.
OPTION: If you want a still cider, add 5 crushed Campden tablets to the cider at this time. If you want a carbonated cider, skip this optional step.
Make the Caramel Syrup and wait 24 hours before proceeding.

After 24 hours, siphon cider into your bottling bucket. Add the Caramel Syrup and the 5 cans of apple juice concentrate while siphoning to aid in mixing. Bottle the cider and enjoy.

If you are carbing in the bottle, be aware that this will carb up fast (4 - 5 days) due to all the sugar. I highly recommend that you fill and cap a plastic pop or beer bottle first, and use that as a guide to tell you when it will be time to Stovetop Pasteurize the batch.

Picture is Caramel Apple Hard Cider in the foreground, after adding yeast. The Apfelwein is ageing in the background.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #337
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownhound View Post
Will this benefit from pectin enzyme addition? Was thinking about picking up the ingredients today.
It can't hurt.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #338
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson153
This may have been covered already, but how much kreusen are you guys getting from the Nottingham yeast in this. The only fermenter I will have available to make this is a 5 gallon better bottle.
Very little krausen. The s04 I just used for Graham's English cider recipe had more krausen.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #339
pedimac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just served 10 gallons of this at a friend's wedding - was gone within 30 minutes. Back sweetened each 5 gallon batch with caramel syrup per Mike's directions and 2 cans of AJ concentrate. Stovetop pasteurized after about 5 days. Thanks Mike for the recipe! Everyone loved it.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #340
tincob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
If you keg and get it cold right away fermentation will stop. That is how I did it and it worked fine. The only problem I had was that all the syrup settled to the bottom of the keg even though I stirred it really good. Next time I might rack on to the syrup in the keg and put just enough pressure to seal the keg and leave it warm for a day or two. It might ferment some of the sugar out but hopefully not too much and fermentation will mix it up. Plus I could save on CO2 carbonating.
I've done the same with kegged hard ciders before and have had no problems.

I cold crashed the batch down to high 30's and let it sit for a few days before racking it to a chilled keg. Since the keezer is set to 39 deg I have not experienced any additional fermentation in the keg - or if there was any additional fermentation, it was so slow that any change in flavor was not noticeable. I used Notty yeast.

I think I'm going to try to make this batch for winter. Since I'm kegging and force carbing, I'll try the following:
- make the caramel mix and pour into the keg while it's still hot. The hot mix will kill any yeast still remaining in the cold-crashed cider and help with the settling issue that some people experienced.
- I'll also add the concentrates into the reduced caramel mix and heat it to near boiling for the same reason

I'll start with 2 cans of concentrates for back sweetening as I'd rather error on the side of not sweet enough than too sweet. I can always add more.

Thanks for the recipe USM.

Quick Reply