Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #131
roadymi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rhino farts have a sulphur type smell. They are typically caused by yeasts stressed from lack of nutrients.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #132
ColbyJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz
You're gonnna have to elaborate on the Rhino fart comment...I haven't heard of this before. What are those and what impact does the nutrient have on it?
Search it. When yeast get stressed, the off gas they release smells of sulfur. Commonly referred to as rhino farts around here. Yeast nutrient tends to balance the food supply for the yeasties.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #133
ColbyJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn. Beat me to it. What he/she said.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #134
southlake333
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Been 8 days since I started this and the SG is down to 1.011 so its time to rack to secondary and get to bottlin. But, I am also just finishing up a separate batch of cider using Champagne yeast and a wine like recipe that I let go completely dry. Comparing the two, this one seems sweet already (before adding the caramel mix or concentrate). I could see adding the caramel to get the apple pie flavor but I'm a bit worried about how sweet it'll end up being with the 5 cans of concentrate. What is everyone else finding?

-JJ

Gallons finished in 2012 - 35
Gallons currently fermenting - 20

To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #135
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I fermented to 1.05, stabilized added syrup (didn't really measure but I ended up with a qt), Added 3 cans concentrate and I find it plenty sweet. I forget what the FG was.
Everybody has a different palate, I would suggest adding a can at a time til it suits yours.

While mine ended up a bit sweeter than I prefer, the flavor is amazing.

Edit: Fermented to 1.005

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #136
southlake333
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadymi View Post
I fermented to 1.05, stabilized added syrup (didn't really measure but I ended up with a qt), Added 3 cans concentrate and I find it plenty sweet. I forget what the FG was.
Everybody has a different palate, I would suggest adding a can at a time til it suits yours.

While mine ended up a bit sweeter than I prefer, the flavor is amazing.
Ok thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing exactly what you just described so now at least I have confirmation!

-JJ

Old 06-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #137
southlake333
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlake333 View Post
Been 8 days since I started this and the SG is down to 1.011 so its time to rack to secondary and get to bottlin. But, I am also just finishing up a separate batch of cider using Champagne yeast and a wine like recipe that I let go completely dry. Comparing the two, this one seems sweet already (before adding the caramel mix or concentrate). I could see adding the caramel to get the apple pie flavor but I'm a bit worried about how sweet it'll end up being with the 5 cans of concentrate. What is everyone else finding?
Well, I bottled today 9 days after pitching the yeast. Last night the SG was at 1.010 so I racked, added kmeta and sorbate and let sit for 24 hours. Tonight the SG was the same so I sweetened and bottled. For anyone interested, Notty yeast forms a thick cake over the bottom of the entire bucket/carboy. It has a very different texture from wine yeast and based on the fact that racking, kmeta and sorbate appear to have completely stopped the yeast immediately, this is a great yeast for a short ferment cider.

I ended up adding the caramel mix as well as 3 cans of apple juice concentrate which was the perfect sweetness. Sweet (no alcohol taste) but not overpowering. I totally forgot to get an SG reading after sweetening.

It does in fact taste like liquid apple pie. I'm going to have to make more of this around the holidays. I'll be very curious to see how this ages since it tastes so good now.

On a side note, the caramel mix ends up floating around a bit in the mix. I bottled one clear wine bottle and the floaters even give it the look of apple pie filling!

-JJ

Newsman Likes This 
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #138
VBrewing
Recipes 

Did anyone else have this turn out super thick. Almost like a syrup.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #139
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Only the syrup itself...I learned that next time I'll have to keep stirring when bottling so I can make sure it's more evenly distributed. But it sounds like you had a way different experience. How much of the carmel syrup and concentrated juice cans did you use?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #140
VBrewing
Recipes 

Followed the recipe exactly. I think it was the concentrate that made it thick. I just bottled yesterday so hopefully it will mellow with some age.

Quick Reply