Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Caramel Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #91
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i'm supposed to bottle today at lunch....i had thought about doing that. If i remember I'll post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #92
nsh22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Do you guys think this batch would scale down well for a 1 gal batch?
Also, I looked at the sticky and there was no mention of pasteurization for plastic bottles... I am guessing this is a bad idea?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #93
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

I did a 2.5 gallon batch just by cutting everything in half. So far, it seems to be going well. I'm going to bottle in a little bit.

Regarding your plastic bottles - NO. PET might work up to 120-140 max but not anything higher. Even then you're playing with reduced ability to hold pressure. Glass only is my opinion.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #94
nsh22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ah thanks! I just realized I could do a 2.5 gal batch since I have 2 single gallon carboys (minus a 1/2 gal).

And I will try to pick up some bottles if they are at a good price, or just have it still...

Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #95
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

See? Life is good. I used a 3 gallon carboy. Also, I did the bottling at lunch as planned today...

There was a question about measuring the SG after adding the syrup and the juice cans. I measured and, at 68 deg it was ~ 1.023. My FG was 1.010 when I racked to the secondary yesterday. But, I had a half batch, I used SLIGHTLY less dextrose and instead of 2.5 cans of juice concentrate, I used just 2.

Also, I have 2 questions of my own for Mike - I mixed everything in during the siphoning and swirled around even midway through bottling but had quite a bit of the syrup at the bottom. So my last two bottles I actually marked and set aside just because there's a MUCH higher syrup content in them. 1) Does that usually happen or have you found a way to eliminate the settling? and 2) why wait the 24 hours on the syrup? I'm really curious about that vs using it as if you had made your normal 5 oz of priming sugar, cooled and added.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #96
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How does it taste at 1.023? Seems kinda sweet. Also interested to hear the solution to the settling syrup.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #97
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

The level of sweetness is up there. Other ciders I have had (strongbow and whatnot) are much drier. But, I think that was Mike's entire point: backsweeten. With the judge's comments before being awarded a gold medal of "apple pie" and so on, that pretty much nails it. It's DEFINITELY one of the sweetest ciders I have ever had. But it tastes damn good too! I also had my temp at the upper level of 68 for most of the time. Last couple days it actually hit 76 but I cannot detect any negative effects.

I'll be checking up to 3 bottles in 4 days to check the carb level. I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this one and will end up with a full batch before long

Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #98
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz View Post
Also, I have 2 questions of my own for Mike - I mixed everything in during the siphoning and swirled around even midway through bottling but had quite a bit of the syrup at the bottom. So my last two bottles I actually marked and set aside just because there's a MUCH higher syrup content in them. 1) Does that usually happen or have you found a way to eliminate the settling? and 2) why wait the 24 hours on the syrup? I'm really curious about that vs using it as if you had made your normal 5 oz of priming sugar, cooled and added.

Thanks!
The main reason for racking to another carboy and waiting for 24 hours is if you want a still cider, or if you plan on keging and then force carbing. At this time you would add the crushed campden tablets, then add the syrup in 24 hours.

Or, if not doing either of those things, you just want to let it clear a little bit more before adding syrup and bottling. If this is the case, I guess waiting 24 hours is optional, depends if you want to clear a bit.

As for mixing the syrup, I usually add the syrup to the bottling bucket first, then rack on top of it to help mix it in. I also do use a paddle and mix gently while bottling. However, I have not noticed the syrup settling to the bottom.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 05-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #99
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

AHA! That paddle mixing pretty much explains why I had a problem then - I didn't do that. I mixed really good once. Then 1 time midway through. If I would have sorta done a more constant gentle stir, I think I wouldn't have run into the issue I did.

I did do the 24 hour clearing (you made my buy an additional 3 gal carboy lol).

Overall, I think it was this statement in the recipe that made me ask the question: "Make the Caramel Syrup and wait 24 hours before proceeding." But it appears that you can rack, wait 24 hours and make the Carmel Syrup, mix and bottle

So, that's most likely what I'll do next time.

Thanks again for the recipe, man. This is by far the best batch of cider I've made yet and it's my 4th. I had to dump my 3rd and drinking the first and second haven't been the most enjoyable experience. I'm looking forward to enjoying this one!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #100
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz View Post
Overall, I think it was this statement in the recipe that made me ask the question: "Make the Caramel Syrup and wait 24 hours before proceeding." But it appears that you can rack, wait 24 hours and make the Carmel Syrup, mix and bottle
You can. I just like having the syrup made a day ahead of time, and cooled to room temperature before using.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Quick Reply