Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > candi sugar in cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
goodbyebluesky82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default candi sugar in cider?

I've used brown sugar in a cider once and liked the dark buttery taste from the molasses.

What do you think dark candi sugar would do for a cider?

Not worth the money when I can just use brown sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyebluesky82 View Post
Not worth the money when I can just use brown sugar?
Answered your own question

Old 12-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
wendelgee2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A related question: Does the crystalline structure of the belgian candi sugar help it to not fully ferment, thus adding more sweetness to the cider than brown sugar would?

Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 AM   #4
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendelgee2 View Post
A related question: Does the crystalline structure of the belgian candi sugar help it to not fully ferment, thus adding more sweetness to the cider than brown sugar would?

That kinda kints at the heart of my question. Brown sugar leaves behind some unfermentables compared to dextrose or plain white sugar. I assume candi sugar does as well, and was wondering how it compared in its fermentability, and flavor it left behind.

I'm not very familiar with belgian beers so had no idea what flavor was imparted by candi sugar and how it compares to regular brown sugar.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 AM   #5
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

all belgian candi sugar is is an inverted cane sugar. your better off just using a straight maple syrup or such natural sugar

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 12-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

I'd use plain old brown sugar, it's cheaper & will impart pretty much the same flavour as the candi sugar. If you want more of that dark, molasses flavour, try using some actual molasses, go easy though, a little molasses goes a long way. I used 8oz. in 3 gallons of cyser & it comes through rather nicely, but any more & it would've overpowered the honey & apple. With cider, I'd use even less, maybe try starting with 1oz molasses & see how you like it, then move on to 2oz & see how that works for you, and so on. Regards, GF.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
all belgian candi sugar is is an inverted cane sugar. your better off just using a straight maple syrup or such natural sugar
Good point, maybe I'll try something like a turbinado sugar or that "sugar in the raw" stuff that hasn't been processed so much. (since regular brown sugar is just heavily processed white cane sugar with molasses added back in)

Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 531 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktlupus View Post
I thought Belgian candi sugar was derived from sugar beets.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #9
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hm... sugar beet wine?

Interesting red color, I wonder if that gives it antioxident powers?

;-)

I would think that rock sugar would slow the fermentation down considerably, but you're have to kill the yeast to stop it anyway. Your OG and FG would be un-related, because you would have sugars being constantly released -- you would not have a hard reference point for the OG. I think that your ABV would also be lower as you would probably want to quash the yeast so you would bottle it, or you'd wind up having a much longer fermentation to get all of the sugars converted.

Hey, I wonder if that would yield an "aged while fermented" cider? Probably not, as only part of the cider would be aging at any given point in time, and none of it would be aged the same amount at the other parts. I am getting dizzy.

If you're looking for information on final flavor differences, I can't help you there, as I'm still fermenting my first batch(es). :-)

If you're looking for sweeter finish, I think the two options are, stop the fermentation sooner (lower ABV and you have a kill off the yeast) or follow through to final ABV where the yeast start to die out naturally, and then back sweeten.

All of this is supposition. :-D

Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
goodbyebluesky82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSponge View Post
Hm... sugar beet wine?

Interesting red color, I wonder if that gives it antioxident powers?

;-)

I would think that rock sugar would slow the fermentation down considerably, but you're have to kill the yeast to stop it anyway. Your OG and FG would be un-related, because you would have sugars being constantly released -- you would not have a hard reference point for the OG. I think that your ABV would also be lower as you would probably want to quash the yeast so you would bottle it, or you'd wind up having a much longer fermentation to get all of the sugars converted.

Hey, I wonder if that would yield an "aged while fermented" cider? Probably not, as only part of the cider would be aging at any given point in time, and none of it would be aged the same amount at the other parts. I am getting dizzy.

If you're looking for information on final flavor differences, I can't help you there, as I'm still fermenting my first batch(es). :-)

If you're looking for sweeter finish, I think the two options are, stop the fermentation sooner (lower ABV and you have a kill off the yeast) or follow through to final ABV where the yeast start to die out naturally, and then back sweeten.

All of this is supposition. :-D
I'm not asking because I'm concerned with sweetness. I am curious what the difference is, subjective as it may be to each individual, of what each type of sugar imparts in terms of flavor firstly, and secondly residual sweetness... which isn;t as much of an issue because that can be adjusted by backsweetening.

Quick Reply