Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Canadian Sources for inexpensive apple juice for making hard cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
fireball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm using Lalvin E1118, just cause it's what was available to me. seems to be working well and tastes fine, just waiting for my first batch to peter out, fermentation slowed considerably when it passed 1.005 but still going. threw some cinnamon in batch #2, so we'll see how it handles it. it's bubbling briskly and developed enough krausen I needed to knock it down before having an "escape".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions
Thanks. Yeah the allens seems a pretty good price. I like the natural apple juice (cider) extar foods/superstore sells but it's pricey. Adding a couple though with the allens may give it more depth.

Curious, what yeasts have you guys been using? I just pitched lavlin kv1-1116. I use that for strawaberry wine and find it brings out the strawberrys realy well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

I added a gas-x (smithicone) pill to the primary and it's filled 4 inches short of the top with no blow off but a very viogorous fermentation. That stuff works amazingly well.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-02-2008, 03:34 AM   #13
Corvairboy
Recipes 

I've made cider now with the following Canadian juices:

* 20 L Mix of Sunrype and Mott's (both clear juices, from Superstore and London Drugs IIRC) with EC1118 champagne yeast, no added sugar. Primed and bottled - super dry, pale yellow colour, yummy. Available in the fall for about $1 / L. OG 1.045ish ends at 0.998. Bubbly like champagne. A fine guzzling cider.

* 20 L Mix of Superstore 'President's Choice' unfiltered apple juice and Mott's filtered juice with EC1118. Just about like batch above. A little more expensive at about $1.50 / L. Just as clear even though I used unfiltered juice - the pulp all settles out. The same SG as first one.

* 5 L of Beatrice apple juice with 1/4cup of lactose and about a cup of table sugar. Munton's beer yeast. OG 1.060 EG 0.998. Much fruitier, more alcoholic, not as bubbly. I only want about one of these at a time.

* 20 L of D'Angelo's pure Ontario apple juice, on sale at Pharma Plus for .99/1.36L. - doesn't even have Vitamin C added. I added about a cup of lactose and used Munton's beer yeast. Still bubbling every 45 seconds after about 6 weeks. The EC1118 is much faster.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 AM   #14
fireball
Recipes 

your 20L batch is identical to my first and gives me an idea where things should end. how long did you age it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvairboy
I've made cider now with the following Canadian juices:

* 20 L Mix of Sunrype and Mott's (both clear juices, from Superstore and London Drugs IIRC) with EC1118 champagne yeast, no added sugar. Primed and bottled - super dry, pale yellow colour, yummy. Available in the fall for about $1 / L. OG 1.045ish ends at 0.998. Bubbly like champagne. A fine guzzling cider.

* 20 L Mix of Superstore 'President's Choice' unfiltered apple juice and Mott's filtered juice with EC1118. Just about like batch above. A little more expensive at about $1.50 / L. Just as clear even though I used unfiltered juice - the pulp all settles out. The same SG as first one.

* 5 L of Beatrice apple juice with 1/4cup of lactose and about a cup of table sugar. Munton's beer yeast. OG 1.060 EG 0.998. Much fruitier, more alcoholic, not as bubbly. I only want about one of these at a time.

* 20 L of D'Angelo's pure Ontario apple juice, on sale at Pharma Plus for .99/1.36L. - doesn't even have Vitamin C added. I added about a cup of lactose and used Munton's beer yeast. Still bubbling every 45 seconds after about 6 weeks. The EC1118 is much faster.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
Corvairboy
Recipes 

I think the Lalvin yeast is pretty fast. It doesn't ever give any sulfurous smell. I use only a primary - no secondary - fermented a month in Better Bottle clear carboy at about 68 F is long enough to completely clear, then about two weeks in primed Grolsch or PET bottles to carbonate. A month or so more in the bottles makes it very drinkable.

The batches I'm trying with Munton's beer yeast are WAY slower. After nearly 6 weeks in primary my current batch is still bubbling every 45 seconds in the airlock and hasn't started to clear yet.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
Johnatrro
Recipes 

Default Source of fresh cider

I have a small pick-your-own orchard near Milton in Ontario and have an excess of apples this year. I can supply apples or juice at a reasonable cost. I still have a number of different varieties so we can custom blend the juice (within reason). I have been making fresh cider for about 20 years in small batches but this year, because of the bumper crop, I want to try larger amounts. I just hate to see all those apples go to waste.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Superstore has unfiltered apple juice on 3L containers for $4.95. They also have a mulled version. Probably winter only for the mulled. (If I used that it would probably be for back sweetening but I might give a batch a go using all mulled one day).

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #18
lroset
Recipes 

I bought mine in cans for something like 80c per litre from the Superstore.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroset View Post
I bought mine in cans for something like 80c per litre from the Superstore.
Things I hate about superstore, is now that they have remodelled all there stores (at least in BC) they have split stuff up into a bunch of sections. I think you can find juice in 3 seperate areas of the store! COld section, Juice section and organic goods section. (Unfiultered is in the organic section for some reason).

(Same for vitamins, they have a section near pharmacey and a section at the other end of the store in "natural goods").

So what section was the 80 cent cans of apple juice and what quality is it? How was the resultant cider?

What kills me is that I live in the Okanagan, where they have to many apples and have issues selling them and yet I can not find a source of cheap local apple juice. Need a apple press I guess.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
Homebrew_Honkey
Recipes 

have any of you guys tried using the Lalvin K1-1118? I tried it this last batch I made and it came out very dry, and skunky?

Quick Reply