Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > can i sweeten when i bottle and carbonate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
marisa_arrr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default can i sweeten when i bottle and carbonate?

I have a 5 gal. batch of apelwein that has been fermenting for about 5 weeks now in the primary. I'd say its bubbling once every 2-4 minutes and it has cleared out quite a bit so I'm planning to bottle later this week. I have made cider before with a similar recipe and it was very dry, which I liked. But nonetheless i'm thinking that a little bit of sweetness would be nice, especially because other people aren't used to the dry taste.
I saw from other posts that you can add lactose or splenda. Can I add these w/ the dextrose while I am bottling? I tried to figure it out from other posts but got mixed ideas. If so, would just a couple of ounces do the trick?
Thanks

-marisa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually, no. If you add more sugar it'll start fermenting again. You do not want to bottle something still fermenting. You'll get bottle grenades (they'll start exploding).

BTW, what was the OG and what's the gravity of the appelwine now?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I used a cup of splenda, and I thought it was too sweet. It kinda lost its crispness. if I do this again it will probably be half a cup.

I just added it with the priming sugar and got a carbinated apple wine cooler. Not what I was thinking.

Luck

Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Actually, no. If you add more sugar it'll start fermenting again. You do not want to bottle something still fermenting. You'll get bottle grenades (they'll start exploding).
Bill, ya gotta read the whole question...she's talking about adding lactose or Splenda.

Marisa, you can add either of those sweeteners without worry of bottle bombs (assuming fermentation is complete). I recommend pulling a sample and sweetening with measured amounts until it meets your liking, then add a proportional amount of sweetener to the entire batch. Dissolve the sweetener in hot water, cool it, then add it to the cider and stir well, avoiding aeration. Prime and bottle as usual.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yuri's right. Splenda or Lactose won't ferment so they have nothing to do with bombs. However, if your fermenter is still bubbling, I'd take a hydro reading before doing anything. Apfelwine should have an FG of around 0.998 or so. If it's still above 1.000, give it more time.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 01-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I use splenda in mine too... although I like it on the sweeter side so I use 1.5 cups per ~6 gallons...

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

mine fermented out to just under 1.000 and it was brutally dry, so i added 8oz of lactose at bottling time. i took 2 cups of water, dissolved the lactose and 5oz of dextrose (corn sugar) and boiled for a couple of minutes. put this in the bottling bucket before the apfelwein and bottled like anything else. it turned out great - mellowing slowly but surely into a taste like commercial british cider, though not as carbonated

Old 01-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You'll eventually ween yourself off the sweets. My first batch used 2 cups of splenda. It was just right for me at first but then it began to taste a bit cloying and I could pick up on the artificial sweetner a bit. My next batch used 1 cup. Again, perfect at first but then I wished it was a little drier. I'm going to leave my next batch alone and "suffer" through the first couple pints.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Bill, ya gotta read the whole question...she's talking about adding lactose or Splenda.

Marisa, you can add either of those sweeteners without worry of bottle bombs (assuming fermentation is complete). I recommend pulling a sample and sweetening with measured amounts until it meets your liking, then add a proportional amount of sweetener to the entire batch. Dissolve the sweetener in hot water, cool it, then add it to the cider and stir well, avoiding aeration. Prime and bottle as usual.
MY BAD!!! You're right I didn't read all that......alcohol got in the way of my better judgement that time too...

Old 01-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
You'll eventually ween yourself off the sweets. My first batch used 2 cups of splenda. It was just right for me at first but then it began to taste a bit cloying and I could pick up on the artificial sweetner a bit. My next batch used 1 cup. Again, perfect at first but then I wished it was a little drier. I'm going to leave my next batch alone and "suffer" through the first couple pints.

True! My first batch was 2 cups... I'm down to 1.5 cups... now I'm starting to think 1 cup. I was also thinking about not using splenda... instead hitting it with potassium sorbate and campden, then putting some sugar back in. Maybe putting honey back in...sounds good
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Quick Reply