Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Can I make my own apple juice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
brewprincess
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I make my own apple juice?

I have searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer this question. I just bought a juicer (latest get healthy scheme) and was wondering if I can make my own juice to use for EdWort's apelwein? I could throw in some other fruits to try along the way as well. Just kind of sounded like fun.

If this has already been dealt with and I missed it, sorry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't want to discourage you because it sounds like a fun experiment but it is a big job. It takes something like 50 pounds of apples for a five gallon batch. It takes many hours on a juicer to get that much juice. Also, you may burn out your juicer doing it since they are not made for hours upon hours of use.

You will want to get some pectin enzyme and camden tablets if using fresh fruit.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
brewprincess
Recipes 

Thanks! That's a lot of apples! Also thanks for the tip on the additives.

It does sound like fun though. Maybe for one of those cold Phoenix winter days-right?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
bluefoxicy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
I don't want to discourage you because it sounds like a fun experiment but it is a big job. It takes something like 50 pounds of apples for a five gallon batch. It takes many hours on a juicer to get that much juice. Also, you may burn out your juicer doing it since they are not made for hours upon hours of use.
My mom usually makes 6 1L glasses of juice every morning in one run (no joke, I measured the glasses to find out how much they hold O_o), and constantly snaps the handle off the juice machine because if everything doesn't line up right and it resists she responds by using force until it listens.

Yes, it takes a while, requires loads of apples, and makes a mess. The motor itself seems to handle it fine though. 50 pounds of apples in 1 day I can't imagine, but my parents have 2 refrigerators and one is just full of fruits and vegetables to get juiced and gets refilled 1-2 times a week so the thing takes a lot.

YMMV.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
brewprincess
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy View Post
50 pounds of apples in 1 day I can't imagine

YMMV.
I was thinking of spreading it out over a couple of days at least. The juice should be okay stored in the fridge. Early on a Monday morning, buying juice sounds really good! Actually, hunting down a good commercial cider doesn't sound bad for tonight!

Thanks- BP

Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
kaplanfx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewprincess View Post
I have searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer this question. I just bought a juicer (latest get healthy scheme) and was wondering if I can make my own juice to use for EdWort's apelwein? I could throw in some other fruits to try along the way as well. Just kind of sounded like fun.

If this has already been dealt with and I missed it, sorry.
A friend and I did this on a juice tiger a couple weeks ago. We picked the apples and pears fresh off the trees in his back yard. We didn't weigh the fruit, but it took us about 7-8 hours in total to get a full 5 gallons. We just started filling a carboy and worked a couple hours each day (we put the carboy in a spare fridge when not working).

-kap

Old 09-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #7
Rhinofly
Recipes 

It takes me about an hour to go out to the back yard, pick the apples, clean, quarter, core and juice enough for 1 gallon. I use a standard consumer grade Warring juicer and I need to clean the basket maybe 8 times per gallon of apple juice. I go pretty fast. The time includes cleanup.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #8
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

maybe a 1 or 2 gal batch? sounds like a pretty good idea with a limited batch size.

What's tappening? :D

Quick Reply