Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Can I carb in this container?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
mitm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I carb in this container?

Hello,
Brand new to this, just received my kit today and will be starting a cider this weekend. Not something that I am going to try now, but is it possible to keg in something like this?

I'm not looking to dispense from it, just cause the cider to carb? Has anyone done this before? Seems like it would be easier to carb in a large container, then bottle after that. I suppose something could be rigged up to dispense somehow from that as well. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Pbh187
Recipes 

Short answer - No. Its not made to hold pressure. Kegs are pretty much the only way to pressurize large amounts of liquid.

It would make a sweet fermentor though.

If you want to carb then bottle from a keg look for the "I don't need no stinkin beer gun" thread, prolly in the DIY area.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
flaminpi3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really don't think it's easier to carb in a large container and then transfer to bottles. Your just adding an extra step, plus I don't see how you'll be able to transfer the carbed liquid to bottles from that container without losing all the carbonation.

“For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Looks like that would bulge and then rupture before you got any significant carbonation in it. In the UK there are some things called "Pressure Barrels" that are meant to hold some pressure and dispense. In the US most people buy cornie kegs to carbonate in.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I just bought one of those to use as a fermenter. I would not carbonate it in though.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 06-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Seems like it would be easier to carb in a large container, then bottle after that.
In the industry, yes. But, for the homebrewer this isn't the case. To bottle carbonated beverages requires that you exclude air and maintain carbonation during the process. There are counter-flow filling systems, the Beergun, and the usual assortment of strange and wonderful DIY gadgets. All of which are used with corny kegs.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply