Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Can I bottle still cider quickly?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
gjd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I bottle still cider quickly?

Basic cider question-- Will it make a big difference if I bottle still cider quickly, pretty much as soon as the FG is stable down around 1, and let the aging occur in bottles rather than secondaries?

I understand this isn't standard practice and won't win me awards. I'm a minimalist homebrewer, in that I'm not fussy about results as long as it's drinkable, and it's inconvenient to accumulate a lot of equipment- one fermenter, one carboy, one bottling bucket at a time. Unintended circumstances left me with 2 5-gallon cider batches starting on the same day, one in my fermenting bucket, one in my carboy, and I'd like to do a beer batch soon. I don't plan to back-sweeten or prime, and would like to get it in bottles and on the shelf. I'm happy not normally using secondaries with ale, but not sure about cider-- seems to have a lot more curious odors and tastes when young. Is there something about aging cider in primaries/secondaries vs. bottles I should consider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
thasnazzle
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It'll age the same in a bottle as it will in a bucket. I tend to bottle age when I do ciders, works fine for me.

Eviction Brewery Co.
Est. 2011
"Highly Unorganized and Unprofessional"

Old 11-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Lammyrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The only concern I would have is the pectin. How clear is the cider?
If it settles at the bottom of your bottles you can still drink it, but it may look unappetizing.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
maverick9862
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

From my understanding, the pectin only becomes a problem if the cider was heated or heat pasteurized. My straight off the press hard cider did not have any pectin haze problems and I did not add pectic enzyme. If it has pectin problems, it may settle out. But it only affects aesthetic, not taste. If you add pectic enzyme then you may want to let it out-gas in bulk, as i've had sulphur smells due to the addition.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
gjd
Recipes 

OP here. It's only in the second day of fermentation, going nicely and smelling a bit better than usual, presumably because I've been more careful than previously about temperature. It's raw cider, nothing but campden tablets and yeast nutrient. I'm not too worried about clarity. I'd rather avoid sulfur smells; I've had them in the past and have needed to at least let bottles breath for a while before drinking, but on the other hand it tends to cause others to leave all the cider for me. Sounds like it's ok to bottle at least one batch quickly under the circumstances. Thanks all.
Greg

Quick Reply