Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Buying equipment for first batch of cider. Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
HoboBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Buying equipment for first batch of cider. Suggestions?

I would like to begin making my first batch of upstate mike's cider http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cara...-cider-292770/.

I also like making little batches of hobo wine from store bought juices (fermented within the store bought jug).
Here is my tentative list:

5104D 6.5 gallon bucket

5106LD Bucket lid
(do I need a stopper/bung for a bucket or is it built in?)

CB 5534 Better Bottle carboy 6 gallon
Medium size bung

4874 Siphon kit (curved stem, tubing and shutoff) Will this be enough or should I get an autosiphon or racking cane?

4602 airlock twin bubble lock Quantity: 3

4600 air lock econo lock 3 piece quantity:3
(should I have more of one kind of airlock than the other? I know alot of people only use the twin bubble for secondary, right?)

#6 stopper Quantity:2 This is just for gallon jugs of hobo wine or other small brews. I am hoping a number 6 stopper will fit into the mouth of most store bought juice jugs.

dextrose

notingham ale yeast if they have it

campden capsules

Hydrometer

Does everything look okay? Is there anything else that you would recommend. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Bottles? Bottling wand? Bottling bucket? Bottle caps? Bottle capper?

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Bottles? Bottling wand? Bottling bucket? Bottle caps? Bottle capper?
Haha. I knew I forgot something . I think I will just buy some caps and a bottling wand. I will probably just use some old sam adams bottles if that would be okay. Anything else you would suggest?

Also you recommended a bottling bucket... Can I just do that with my siphon or will that be a pain in the arse. If I do need a bottling bucket can I just use this as my fermenter and skip buying the 6.5 gallon bucket?

Also for the siphoning kit it says curved stem, tubing and shutoff. Does that include everything I need? Would it be easier to just buy a racking cane and tubing? Would an auto siphon be a better choice?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Trust me when I say that bottling by siphon is a nightmare. My advice - go to a grocery store bakery, they save food safe buckets they receive cake frosting in and give them away. Wash it good, drill a hole and add a bottling spigot from your LHBS, should only be a couple bucks. Use enough of your tubing to reach the bottom of your bottles (8 inches or so) so you aren't splashing and you should be golden.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I wouldn't be w/o my autosiphons.

Bottling from buckets is easier........easy to make one as stated prior

I like to mount the bottling wand direct to the spigot......easy no mess auto filling.

I prefer the s curve airlocks except that the 3 pc's are handy for converting to a blowoff tube

I've accumulated quite a few carboys......I've found that it makes it much simpler to not rush the process if i'm not wanting the carboy for my next batch.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Autosiphons are well worth the extra few bucks. I echo fizzycist, make or buy a bottling bucket. Really not that much for the added improvement to the process. Don't forget a sterilizing concentrate. Follow the directions on whichever one you buy and sterilize every thing that will come in contact with your juice/cider.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzycist View Post
Trust me when I say that bottling by siphon is a nightmare. My advice - go to a grocery store bakery, they save food safe buckets they receive cake frosting in and give them away. Wash it good, drill a hole and add a bottling spigot from your LHBS, should only be a couple bucks. Use enough of your tubing to reach the bottom of your bottles (8 inches or so) so you aren't splashing and you should be golden.
Got a few buckets from the local bakery, but most are #5 pp. I made a thread about it. I am sure it is fine for a bottling bucket, but can I use it to ferment?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
ColbyJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboBrewing

Got a few buckets from the local bakery, but most are #5 pp. I made a thread about it. I am sure it is fine for a bottling bucket, but can I use it to ferment?
Yes. Should be fine. There is a lot if argument on whether one should ferment in plastic or not. Buckets are actually oxygen permeable. I have done a few beer batches in buckets. Turned out great. However I wouldn't bulk age my cider in a bucket. As you start getting better with your process, scan craigslist for a carboy.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
HoboBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyJack View Post
Yes. Should be fine. There is a lot if argument on whether one should ferment in plastic or not. Buckets are actually oxygen permeable. I have done a few beer batches in buckets. Turned out great. However I wouldn't bulk age my cider in a bucket. As you start getting better with your process, scan craigslist for a carboy.
Okay thanks. So the only problem is the oxygen permeability? So it should be fine for a primary. I was just worried about poisons leeching into my alcohol. This shouldn't be an issue right? Totally safe ?

Others had confirmed 1 and 2 to be okay, but I honestly can't find any information on fermenting in a #5 pp bucket. I mean I think it had icing in it before, but that might have been wrapped in plastic so I am not sure if I can say it is food quality... Any one else have any experience specifically with #5 pp?

Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I did exactly what I described in my above post for my own bottling bucket, and I have a smaller one I use as a fermenter for small test batches. I haven't noticed any off flavors like plastic or anything like that.

Quick Reply