Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Brown-freakin'-sugar, thank you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #11
JoeSponge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Learning more stuff...

I learn so much through side-trips from posts. The picture reminded me of sugar loaves (Sugarloaf), the traditional form of sugar before granulated/cube forms became popular. You can sometimes find sugar nippers in antique stores, but few people know what they are anymore.

Something else I read here last week got me on John Adams, Washinton, Jefferson, and maple sugar as an economic product and to reduce "blood-tainted sugar" -- sugar that was produced by slave labor. Which then led to readhing about Maddy and Perry (latin for mother and father? No.) Oh, and finding out the early in the history of America, peaches were so prolific that they were considered invasive, fed to hogs, and used as living fence-rows. Now I gotta see if I can line my yard w/ peach trees. It never ends...

Oh, and to bring it almost back to a topic, my wife wanted to know if I wanted to make my own brown sugar (a la AB) but the only molasses we have is sorgham -- which would make it green sugar.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 03:42 AM   #12
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSponge View Post
I learn so much through side-trips from posts.
You know I think that is a lot of the fun that comes from this hobby... it's like history, chemistry, biology, cooking, and drinking all in one!

Cool info. It really does end up being a neverending quest for random useless information... thank god firefox has tabs...

Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's not random... we just don't see the pattern yet. One day, tho'...

Rising prices coupled w/ my knowledge of composting toilets, coupled w/ interest in gray water reuse, solar cells, bilge pumps, batteries, timers, micro-distribution, drip-feed, hydroponics, tomatoes and cantaloup and peppers and watermellons, rain cachement, PVC drums, DIY, free and volunteer seeds, sub-frost cold storage, and bicycles, knowledge of where to find building materials, plastic (#7 :-( carboys), dumpster diving, barter, apple pulping, press making, natural vs cultered yeasts, edible wild plants, and alternative food-associated uses for adult-fielded percussive metallic ingot launching long distance precision paper punches, and I think we'll get through the upcoming seasons pretty well.

Now I have to go rest my brain. It's time to read up on flying cars.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Quick Reply