Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Brown-freakin'-sugar, thank you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
JoeSponge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brown-freakin'-sugar, thank you.

So there I was, walking through the grocery store pricing brown sugar every time I went shopping, thinking that I was justifed in the expense, etc., etc.

Then, while catching some Alton Brown, he says that all the BS is, is sugar w/ a coupla ounces of molasses. Sugar is white, molasses is dark brown, add 'em together and you get... brown-freakin'-sugar, thank you. First they take it out, then charge us again to put it back in.

Well, moleasses aren't the only thing that stinks!

OK, enough jokes. So, local prices for 5# sugar average $2.50 (IIRC). A quart of molasses is between $2 and $3, depending upon the grade. The recipe calls for 3 oz of molasses to a # of sugar, so that's 10 "shots" to a quart, or 20 - 30 cents / #.

So, in a pinch, you get your own BS for about 75c / # -- or you can wait until Xmas and buy it when it goes on sale.

Heh.

Actually, I wonder what straight molasses in AJ would be like. Prob a stronger taste, but BS is supposed to be a little sweeter than sugar, so a little less might yield the same proof.

AB - he da bom
Alton Brown Sugar

Brown sugar (Wikipedia)

Rant off.

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #2
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just watched that episode too, pretty cool. There's been a few times when I'm cooking that I've actually gone to the store for some brown sugar... not even knowing I could just use some of that bottle of molasses buried in the back of my cupboard, just like AB says...

Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yup, haven't tried the mix yet, but some on here have brewed with molasses without the brown sugar.

Also, Alton is my culinary hero (as an engineer he hits my nerd nerve too)

Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 AM   #4
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

one thing that IS different and from personal experiance is *quite* a taste treat in cider, is Turbinado type sugar - raw - unbleached sugar BEFORE they take the natural molasses out. adds a subtle rum/caramel like note to cider.
it is expensive - but worth it. "Sugar in the Raw" is my personal preferance.

try it and see!

Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm... I almost got that instead of corn sugar at the store tonight.. damn. It was pretty much the same price, too. Oh well... next batch

Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 AM   #6
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopaholic View Post
Hmm... I almost got that instead of corn sugar at the store tonight.. damn. It was pretty much the same price, too. Oh well... next batch
it's pretty bitchin' in coffee too.
I rarely use white sugar in coffee - We actually still have a operational sugar mill and active cane fields here on maui. I like to use local Raw sugar
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
epimortum
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

MMM Raw Florida sugar, the memories of youth, gnawing on the cane good stuff.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away...a Private was pulling KP in the old brown-boot Army.

I was ordered to add brown sugar to a pot of boiling water so that the men would have syrup to go with their pancakes.

It's not maple, but I still prefer it on my pancakes.

Pogo

Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

This is the very reason that I don't use brown sugar, well, refined brown sugar, anymore. I've found the joys of unrefined brown sugars, and where I live, that means Piloncillo (Panela - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). That stuff's good on anything that would require brown sugar.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So many good things to ferment, so little time... Now I have another thing to try. Drat!

Quick Reply