Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Is brewing beer or cider dangerous for my kitty?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

Default Is brewing beer or cider dangerous for my kitty?

I have an indoor cat and she hangs out in my room with the door closed, Sometimes the window is also shut. I have three 6 gallon carboys in there all gassing off carbon dioxide. Is this enough CO2 to harm her? She's a very small kitty, About 6 pounds. But she is totally the love of my life and I don't want to do anything that could even closely endanger her. Please help me with this because it's really on my mind and it's really hard for her to be in any other room in the house because we sometimes leave the door open for the dog and we don't want her to get out

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
45_70sharps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

If you have a large batch and very vigorous fermentation I see two ways the cat could be hurt.

1) You put a blowoff tube in the fermenter and duct tape the other end into the cats mouth, covering the nose so the cat can't breath anything but the C02 escaping.

2) You take the same blowoff tube and still duct tape it into the cat's mouth, but this time you have blowoff and the cat chokes on it.

Since I don't think you are going to duct tape the cat to anything, you're safe and so is the cat.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps
If you have a large batch and very vigorous fermentation I see two ways the cat could be hurt.

1) You put a blowoff tube in the fermenter and duct tape the other end into the cats mouth, covering the nose so the cat can't breath anything but the C02 escaping.

2) You take the same blowoff tube and still duct tape it into the cat's mouth, but this time you have blowoff and the cat chokes on it.

Since I don't think you are going to duct tape the cat to anything, you're safe and so is the cat.
A cat lover I see..... Lol
Well if you were the dog sort I have dogs too and don't want them to be harmed or on the floor drunk because I put blowoff tubes in there mouths... Hahaha

So really? Three large carboys gassing off in a confined 8 x 10 room is not going to give any dangerous levels of CO2? You sure.....

Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
linstad
Recipes 

Put a plant in there......plant will eat all the co2. Just no wacky tabackie or catnip and you should be fine...

Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Well, what you could do, like several breweries do, is capture that CO2 and use it to carb your beer... then you save your kitty AND some money, AND get to feel all green.

Kegged: The Weevil Dead IIPA | Tornado Warning Imperial Stout | Prepare To Die Porter

Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
Fossey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I'd be more worried that the cat would knock your airlocks off with a curious paw strike and open your brews to infection!

If the cat did succumb to CO2, at least you'd have delicious cider to drown your sorrow!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral
Well, what you could do, like several breweries do, is capture that CO2 and use it to carb your beer... then you save your kitty AND some money, AND get to feel all green.
How?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post
A cat lover I see..... Lol
Well if you were the dog sort I have dogs too and don't want them to be harmed or on the floor drunk because I put blowoff tubes in there mouths... Hahaha

So really? Three large carboys gassing off in a confined 8 x 10 room is not going to give any dangerous levels of CO2? You sure.....
Well I was being a little sarcastic..... BUT, seriously you would probably have to do those things I mentioned for the cat to be in danger.

Don't worry. CO2 can be dangerous but only by it displacing enough oxygen to suffocate you.
I'm not sure how many gallons you would need to brew in a very small room but it would be a lot, the room would be small and ventilation would have to be very bad.
Any indoor room is going to have air flow between rooms.

It's fine. It's good to think about potential problems, but you can stop thinking about this one.

Unless of course you duct tape a blowoff tube and the cat together. That might get the concentration that it would take to hurt him during vigorous fermentation.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
devianttouch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I wouldn't worry about the CO2 at all - the room would have to be completely air-tight to be even close to a problem!

BUT Hops are toxic to cats and dogs if ingested! Please make sure your cat doesn't get into your hops and you'll be fine.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
HAREEBROWNBEEST
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

I've heard that dogs can die if they eat hops, that's all i got.

Quick Reply