Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Branden O's Graff Krausen!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
Lunarpancake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok.....looking for some thoughts here. My graff has me a tiny bit worried. It is still bubbling but its very slow and the krausen has completely gone away. If this is OK ...then great I will not worry but compared to my last cider which was super-active this is surprising and worry-some.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
smokey9015
Recipes 

I used US-04 as well.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think this is what he's talking about.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #24
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

yea....i have one of those ready to go.

but now my graff has me a tiny bit worried. It is still bubbling but its very slow and the krausen has completely gone away. If this is OK ...then great I will not worry but compared to my last cider which was super-active this is surprising and worry-some.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #25
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunarpancake View Post
yea....i have one of those ready to go.

but now my graff has me a tiny bit worried. It is still bubbling but its very slow and the krausen has completely gone away. If this is OK ...then great I will not worry but compared to my last cider which was super-active this is surprising and worry-some.
It will be fine. If you had a krausen at some point that means that it's fermenting and that you have live yeast in there. Let them do their job. In my experience with making ciders they never have an extremely crazy fermentation. The thing is that apple juice doesn't exactly have all of the best nutrients for yeasts. That's why apfelwein has those rhino farts. This should be a bit better since it has the PM in it. So just give the yeasts some time to do their job (they are good at what they do until some other factor (typically us) begins to mess with em).

Anyways, RDWHAHB. Don't go jacking around with your stuff. It should be fine. I by default use a blow-off hose on all primary fermentations b/c I just don't want to wake up the next morning with a blown off lid/huge mess, but they're not always necessary. I typically always switch my blow-off hose to an airlock after about 4 days. Most of the time you won't have a need for it at that point.

In summary, if you don't have krausen coming through your airlock, you don't need the blow-off tube. Just leave your cider alone, krausen or no krausen. It should be fine after the suggested amount of time in the fermenter.

J

P.S.
Do some "Has my fermentation stopped" searches. Look for some stuff Revvy has said. He's got a lot of info on this forum about this stuff.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
It will be fine. If you had a krausen at some point that means that it's fermenting and that you have live yeast in there. Let them do their job. In my experience with making ciders they never have an extremely crazy fermentation. The thing is that apple juice doesn't exactly have all of the best nutrients for yeasts. That's why apfelwein has those rhino farts. This should be a bit better since it has the PM in it. So just give the yeasts some time to do their job (they are good at what they do until some other factor (typically us) begins to mess with em).

Anyways, RDWHAHB. Don't go jacking around with your stuff. It should be fine. I by default use a blow-off hose on all primary fermentations b/c I just don't want to wake up the next morning with a blown off lid/huge mess, but they're not always necessary. I typically always switch my blow-off hose to an airlock after about 4 days. Most of the time you won't have a need for it at that point.

In summary, if you don't have krausen coming through your airlock, you don't need the blow-off tube. Just leave your cider alone, krausen or no krausen. It should be fine after the suggested amount of time in the fermenter.

J

P.S.
Do some "Has my fermentation stopped" searches. Look for some stuff Revvy has said. He's got a lot of info on this forum about this stuff.

That's what I figured but comparing to my first cider experience this just had me a bit worried. I wasn't about to go messing around with anything especially since it is still bubbling albeit slowly.

Thanks Again, you guys ROCK!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #27
smokey9015
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post

I think this is what he's talking about.
Yes that is it exactly. Sorry could not get a better picture.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #28
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Checked on the graff. I wish I had checked the sg when I put it in the carboy but I was an idiot an didn't. Well the sg is at 1.03 after 4 days I'm hoping that it has just been working fast even with the slow bubbling.

I also tasted it and as of now it's very hoppy and bitter. I know that should subside especially with the extra week of fermenting and two weeks of sitting afterwards.

If anyone has any thoughts please pipe in.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Just last night finished the last bottle of my first big batch of graff. The first bottle several weeks ago was kind of disappointing. The one last night was possibly the best thing I've ever brewed. Give it some time; it will be worth it. Mine wasn't even Brandon's full recipe; just an adaptation, and it was still delicious. Planning my next batch and wishing it were in the bottles already.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #30
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

when aging does it matter if it is room temp or in the kegerator already?

Quick Reply