The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > "bottling" still cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
AuburnBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "bottling" still cider

Hi all,

I have a question regarding bottling and storing of a still cider. I currently have 5 gallons in my primary and wish to age in something different. I'd like advice about sanitizing the gallon plastic bottles my apple juice can in and racking the completed still cider into them. Do I need to put them in the fridge? Can they stay sealed at room temp without spoiling? Are preservatives required? Dumb idea?

Thanks to all,

RB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
wreckinball9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

the caps wont create an airtight seal now that they've been opened. i would look for alternatives. the good news is that since you have still cider and not carbed, you have many more options.

empty growlers and empty wine jugs (from cheap wine like carlo rossi) can be used with polyseal caps like these

Ben's Home Brew.com. Home Brewing, Wine Making, Beer Supplies and Wine Supplies

they wont let any oxygen in. also you can use wine bottles but you should get a cheap wine vacuum sealer for like 10 bucks.

i love the flip top bottles at ikea, they are 1 liter clear bottles for $2 each.

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply