Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Bottling Apfelwein to original 1-gallon apple juice jugs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
CallMeZoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bottling Apfelwein to original 1-gallon apple juice jugs?

I just mixed up my first batch of Apfelwein, and as I was rinsing the 1-gallon apple juice jugs, I wondered if I could re-use them for bottling.

A lot of my Apfelwein will be used at home only, so I don't need to do any fancy bottling. I think I'll just bottle a few six packs of 16oz bottles and then put the rest into these gallon jugs to refrigerate and serve into glasses.

Is there any reason not to do this? They are the big round plastic gallon jugs with plastic screw tops

Will these bottles hold up to carbonation or is there a chance of leak/explosion? (I would mix the priming sugar in the carboy before bottling, not in each individual bottle).

Thanks,
chris.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've used them before without problem. I would not recommend carbonating in them though. You will want to drink each bottle within a day or two so it does not oxidize.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
dave36640
Recipes 

You can't carb in them but you can store still once the fermentation is complete.

Check the recycling number on the bottle, if it is a 1 then you can use them.

What you do is fill them 1/2" from the top and before capping gently squeeze the bottle to push out as much air space without over flowing the bottle. Then cap tightly. This will give you room for a little expansion if needed.

I prefer my water beer flavored.

Quick Reply