Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Bottled First Cider, No Carb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
msinning
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottled First Cider, No Carb

I bottled my first cider about two weeks ago. I just opened one and there is no trace of any carbonation. Should I have added extra sugar in the primary? It was in the primary for about one month and secondary for two weeks. Crystal clear, nice taste just no carb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

IF the yeast was still viable (cider not at/above the listed ABV tolerance of the yeast), but you didn't add more sugar at bottling, it won't carbonate in bottle. JUST like you do with beer (or pretty much anything). After 6 weeks, chances are the yeast ate everything in there it could.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Just like beers, 2 weeks is usually simply not enough for things to carb. ESPECIALLY high grav things like ciders where the yeast may be tired, and also in larger bottles. It will probably take a couple of months even to full carbed. Just be patient.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by msinning View Post
I bottled my first cider about two weeks ago. I just opened one and there is no trace of any carbonation. Should I have added extra sugar in the primary? It was in the primary for about one month and secondary for two weeks. Crystal clear, nice taste just no carb.
I don't see where you added any priming sugar. After 6 weeks of fermentation your cider would have been completely dry. You need to add appropriate amount of sugar at bottling to carbonate. (a good strong 1/2 cup / 5 gallons mixed thoroughly)
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
msinning
Recipes 

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did add priming sugar. I believe it was about 2.5 oz.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to mention that I did add priming sugar. I believe it was about 2.5 oz.
For what batch size? Depending on the ABV% and yeast used it could take some time to carbonate. Sample one bottle after three weeks at 70F, after chilling the bottle for an additional 5-7 days. If still no Carb, then give it another few weeks and sample again. High ABV beverages, depending on yeast used and such, can take some time to carbonate.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
msinning
Recipes 

It was approx. 2.5-3 gallon batch

Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What yeast and what abv did you shoot for?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
msinning
Recipes 

I used Whitelabs English cider yeast. I didn't really have a specific abv content in mind.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I used Whitelabs English cider yeast. I didn't really have a specific abv content in mind.
What was the OG and what was the or FG (you took readings, right)?? That yeast will go 8-12% (no info on where in that range it will land). Sounds like, from what I read on the White Labs site, it won't go above 12%. If you're at 12% already, then it won't carbonate with sugar/in bottles. If you're close to 12% for the final product, then it could just take time to carbonate. The normal 3 weeks at 70F is a minimum time you should plan on for a moderate ABV beverage. Higher ABV items will take longer to carbonate. Especially if the yeast is already close to it's limit.

At this point, I would just keep it at around 70-75F for another month, or two, and then test another bottle (chill it for a week before opening it).

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply