Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Blueberry Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #1
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Blueberry Cider

Well I have 4 in primary and secondary and I am so excited for those I had to start some more. I gotta give credit to Pyro, he is the one that gave me some advice on this one.

******EDITED FINAL RECIPE********
Primary Recipe is as follows:
5 gallons Apple Juice
4 lbs. Frozen Blueberries
1.5 cups Craisins
2 lbs Light Brown Sugar
2 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
1 pkt 71b yeast, rehydrated

When racking 4 750's worth was siphoned off and bottled, the secondary additions were to add more blueberry flavor and aromatics and replace what was taken out.

Secondary:
added 5 pounds of blueberries
62oz of pure blueberry juice
1 gallon of apple juice

I am sure there are some things I could have done differently, but this is all just experimenting for me and I am having a good time with it. I know that many people suggest adding fruit in secondary to impart more fruit flavor, but I chose to do it this way to start. Due to the advice of a member, I started the blueberries in primary and will rack onto some more depending on color and taste in a month or so.

The airlock showed activity within a couple hours and today it is bubbling once every 5 seconds or so.

So, I just started this thread to keep updates on this, because at least for me, I didn't see many threads on blueberry cider, some on meads and wines, but not cider. But any suggestions any of the more seasoned members have are and will always be very welcome.

Here is a pic showing it bubbling away in my bathroom on a towel to keep it from the cool floor, but the room itself is kept between 65 and 70.

And here is a picture of my "brewing closet" which contains my JAOM, my spiced cider, my cyser, and my pomegranate mead.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
old_townie
Recipes 

did you use camden tabets or any other natural yeast killer on your fruit?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well I used store bought frozen blueberries and do not have access to a LHBS. So since in my last internet order I chose not to order any, I went without yeast killers hoping that between the freezing processing and my yeast starter, that the naturals won't pose a problem.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Anybody at all with advice or what I should be seeing ahead? Like I said I am quite a newbie and would love any advice I get.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #5
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well it has been just over two weeks and the airlock's activity is slowing down. I don't mind at all leaving it in the primary for quite a while, but I do intend on tasting for blueberry flavor and racking it over to secondary, possibly and probably on top of more blueberries.

However, I have a problem, the primary and my only large carboy is the 6 gallon glass carboy it is currently in. I am aware that I will have significant losses due to the blueberries absorbing liquid. So my question is more of a multiple choice
Do I:

1 - rack as much liquid as possible from the carboy into a plastic bucket that I will purchase, than dump the blueberries into the freshly cleaned carboy and rack back into it? (where do I get a 5+ gallon bucket? If I am not fermenting in it can't I just use any clean bucket large enough, perhaps from Home Depot or the like?)

2 - Should I just leave it in this carboy for the full term of the fermentation? I lose the ability to add blueberries and it will stay on the lees for significantly longer than desired, though from what I read that isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as it is not too long.

3 - Something else this amature can't think of right now.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Nazhuret
Recipes 

I'm wondering how this turned out.

I just started a batch using bottled blueberry concentrate. Not as sexy as the berries but it is January... I couldn't wait till the season gets into swing.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ummm I just posted yesterday saying it was still in primary haha. I used frozen blueberries. So I don't mind updating when its done, but could use some advice in the meantime.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Nazhuret
Recipes 

D'oh! I was looking at the "join date" and reading it as the "post date".
I thought your last message was back in Nov 2007.

Carry on...

Old 01-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1391 Times on 849 Posts
Likes Given: 894

Love the way the blueberries look in the carboy...
Thansk for posting!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
placervilledan
Recipes 

You should make sure to use food grade plastic buckets. The other stuff (Home Depot etc) is harder to clean. They scratch easier, which makes great hiding places for bacteria. At least that is what I have read. If you don't mind leaving it in for a little longer, order another carboy. That would probably be the safest.

Quick Reply