New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Black cherry cider Ruined..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

I put a gallon of black cherry juice in my 1 gallon fermenter to see if I could make cherry cider... I added 1 cup of brown sugar (which I probably shouldn't have done) and D 47 yeast...
The OG was 1.092...
It took almost 2 days to start fermenting... For one day the airlock was going crazy then out of the blue just totally stopped...

I started it on the 30th...
I took a reading yesterday and it was 1.042
then I took a reading today and it was 1.041?
I'm guessing it stopped because too much sugar in the beginning?

I think it's right around 60° in my room but it could've dropped below? But it is warmed up now to almost 67 so it would've started if it was a temperature thing, correct?

Should I wait and see or should I add a little champagne yeast? Put it on a heating blanket, Or should I just rack it out and call it ruined?

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
snuesen
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Brown sugar is actually pretty common. OG isn't too high, like noted earlier it could be pH or any number of issues. You need to check these things before you toss a batch, that's the only way to improve your methods and not waste money. For now, just keep temp around 69 (over 70 is bad for this particular yeast). If it goes down one point a day it is still fermenting but could cause off flavors. So crack those books! Or forum threads in this case ;-)

Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuesen
Brown sugar is actually pretty common.
Yes, I understand, I meant because I ran the gravity up so high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuesen
OG isn't too high, like noted earlier it could be pH or any number of issues. You need to check these things before you toss a batch, that's the only way to improve your methods
I'm sure you're right, I am just learning and really only know about OG, SG and FG so far.

Can I check things like pH with my hydrometer?
And can you explain to me a little about pH, what is good, what is bad and how I can address that if it is the issue?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A hydrometer is for gravity. Litmus paper or a ph meter is what you need for acidity/alkalinity. There are different acid and base compounds that you can add to dial in the ph but what to use and their amount are a little beyond my scope someone else might be able to offer some insight there

Also that gravity a bit much for yeast fresh out of the package IMO. Did you aerate after pitching go help with yeast growth?. Also i find juices lacking in enough nutrients did you add and yeast nutrients or yeast energizers?

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWhite5522
A hydrometer is for gravity. Litmus paper or a ph meter is what you need for acidity/alkalinity. There are different acid and base compounds that you can add to dial in the ph but what to use and their amount are a little beyond my scope someone else might be able to offer some insight there
Thank you, I will look into a pH meter and how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWhite5522
Also that gravity a bit much for yeast fresh out of the package IMO. Did you aerate after pitching go help with yeast growth?. Also i find juices lacking in enough nutrients did you add and yeast nutrients or yeast energizers?
No, I just added the yeast packet straight to the cider.... I have always done that and it always seems to take off...
If this is not the right way to do it or stresses the yeast please let me know Joshua (or anyone)

Old 01-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Adding the yeast to your cider/must/wot fresh out of the package will work but it is not the best way. Building a yeast starter gets them ready for the task at hand. Www.mrmalty.com is a good resource for yeast info in regards to pitching and doing all you can for yeast health. Oxygen prior to fermentation helps build yeast cell walls and make it easier for them to function. In my experience it helps the yeast last longer and not stall out on high gravity frements. Again some sort of nutrition will help too. I find it is best to give your yeast everything they need before they start to ferment

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind
- Humphrey Bogart

My Keezer Build

Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If this were a beer with an OG of 1.092 then yeast aeration might be responsible, but this is cherry juice and brown sugar wine which is well within the alcohol tolerance of the strain. More likely IMO it's the result of a lack of nutrients in the juice combined with temp issues. D47 is a hungry beast so it may need some added yeast nutrient to help it along, which you can buy at most LHBS. It's also a pretty moody strain with a relatively small temp window, in a low nutrient environment that window gets even smaller.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have done a couple batches of strawberry wine using the D47 and it eats thru an og above 1.100 no problem. You need some nutrients for the little guys to perform though. At this point I would add some yeast Energizer. It is a combination of yeast nutrients and yeast hulls to help revive your yeast.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoegel
I have done a couple batches of strawberry wine using the D47 and it eats thru an og above 1.100 no problem. You need some nutrients for the little guys to perform though. At this point I would add some yeast Energizer. It is a combination of yeast nutrients and yeast hulls to help revive your yeast.
It has already been a day and a half or maybe two days and no activity, Am I okay to add yeast energizer now? Will that be the only thing I need to do to get it started or should I do something else as well? And if yes is the answer, I just go down to my local brew shop and buy some Energizer and pour it straight in?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Bluespark
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

I had a stall on a strawberry apple cider I was making with ec1118. Ended up adding a little nutrient and energizer and repitching a small amount of yeast and it started right back up.

Quick Reply