Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Better than Apfelwein...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #21
Bender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Tomorrow I bottle the 9 gallons I have already fermented. 5 genuine apfelwien and 4 experimental flavored varieties. I'm going to run out of bottles when I try this idea.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 AM   #22
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Tomorrow I bottle the 9 gallons I have already fermented. 5 genuine apfelwien and 4 experimental flavored varieties. I'm going to run out of bottles when I try this idea.
Sweet! I bet you'll get your bottles back pretty darn quick.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #23
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Set up a 20L batch of TC with 500g muscavodo sugar using wyeast 3068 strain as suggested in the first post.
Will report back the results when they are in.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #24
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone tried stopping the yeast early with pottasium sorbate like the grape squeezers do if they want a sweet wine.

Im using the 3068 yeast which isn't that flocculant, after hitting the yeast with potassium sorbate do the yeast die or just stall, if they die are they more prone to autolysis and off tastes or would it be fine????

Also i've read in other threads that you should use campden with sorbate to prevent off flavours how much do you need to add???

Last edited by delboy; 05-14-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
Has anyone tried stopping the yeast early with pottasium sorbate like the grape squeezers do if they want a sweet wine.

Im using the 3068 yeast which isn't that flocculant, after hitting the yeast with potassium sorbate do the yeast die or just stall, if they die are they more prone to autolysis and off tastes or would it be fine????

Also i've read in other threads that you should use campden with sorbate to prevent off flavours how much do you need to add???

Do everyone SERIOUSLY have to respond to every question all over again in this thread just like we did 7 or 8 times in EdWort's thread?

Just teasing. sorta.

Anyway, if you bottle carb, you can't use campden. If you want it still, or if you use CO2 gas, then go ahead and use campden. People have done so. Read EdWort's thread for more info.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #26
delboy

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive read it (almost like a rite of passage that thread), but to be honest looking for useful info on the thread (apart from the first 10-20 pages) is a serious PITA and not worth the hassle.
Also noticed when you post a quesion on it that you get zero replies (unless your lucky) because they tend to get buried with the 'wow dude apfelwein is great' posts.

I thought that you needed K-sorbate to stop yeasts and that campden on its own is only good for stopping wild yeasts, but that you use campden and K-sorbate in conjunction to both stop the yeast and prevent unwanted reactions with the leftover sorbate??? Is this right? any winemakers out there???

Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #27
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Haha... I'm lengthening another apple thread.

I just tossed 4 gallons of apple juice in with 2 cans of concentrate with WLP300 (White Labs' standard German Hefeweizen strain).

OG of the Apple Juice is 1.046.

Each can of concentrate ups the gravity by .009 per gallon. I have an OG 1.051.

My plan is to rack to secondary at some point and use gelatin or other finings to actually clear the cider. Based on my past experience, priming half with brown sugar and half with honey, I will be using brown sugar for greater body and depth.

Or.. if I'm getting daring, maybe I'll prime it with apple juice... hehe....

Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4266 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
Ive read it (almost like a rite of passage that thread), but to be honest looking for useful info on the thread (apart from the first 10-20 pages) is a serious PITA and not worth the hassle.
Also noticed when you post a quesion on it that you get zero replies (unless your lucky) because they tend to get buried with the 'wow dude apfelwein is great' posts.

I thought that you needed K-sorbate to stop yeasts and that campden on its own is only good for stopping wild yeasts, but that you use campden and K-sorbate in conjunction to both stop the yeast and prevent unwanted reactions with the leftover sorbate??? Is this right? any winemakers out there???
Campden on its own will NOT stop fermentation- in fact winemakers do use it to kill wild yeasts and bacteria. I use campden every other racking in all of my wines.

To stop fermentation, sorbate is added to the wine. However, you also need campden, too- because sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites and also because sorbate without some sulfite can led to a geranium-like off flavor and smell. So, you are 100% correct.

For any questions (not just apfelwein, but any threads) it's always best to start a new thread!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4266 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
My plan is to rack to secondary at some point and use gelatin or other finings to actually clear the cider. Based on my past experience, priming half with brown sugar and half with honey, I will be using brown sugar for greater body and depth.

Or.. if I'm getting daring, maybe I'll prime it with apple juice... hehe....
I'd recommend sparkelloid for clearing this. It should do a great job, leaving very little lees.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #30
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Airtight - Just a pointer on Cote Des Blanc. It needs yeast nutrients or energizer to work well.

Most ciders should have either one because the juice commonly lacks what most yeasts need to do the job well.

Most people say Montrachet produces a nasty sulfuric gas. Mine never did with the addition of nutrients.

Thanks for the interesting side by side comparision. I might have to try your favorite wheat yeast.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Last edited by Schlenkerla; 05-17-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply