Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Best Sugar to use in Aple Cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 05:18 AM   #1
sylviya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Best Sugar to use in Aple Cider?

I have just bought a home brew kit and intend to make apple cider and ginger beer, as well as ordinary beer. Can an experienced cider maker tell me do you just use normal white sugar in apple cider? or is there something that works better? I am just starting with a "Black Rock" cider base that says to add 1kg of sugar? All helpful advice greatly appreciated by this novice!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've just made a Black Rock cider kit, I added 2 kg of dextrose so that the alcohol content was upped a bit (trying to emulate a high alcohol cider we have here in New Zealand sold under the brand name 'Scrumpy's'). I haven't brewed it with ordinary cane sugar so I can't tell you what's best but I would use dextrose to be on the safe side. Maybe wait for some of the more experienced cider brewers to give some better advice.

With 2 kg of dextrose I ended up with about 7% alcohol.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dextrose (aka glucose, aka corn sugar) is a simple sugar that ferments out cleanly. Plain white sugar (aka sucrose) works too but i'd personally not use too much of it as it can lead to off flavours.
As denimglen states if it's just being added to boost ABV you're better off with dextrose.
If you want to add flavours to your cider you can experiment with honey, brown sugars etc but these can often be overpowering if you add them in untested amounts.
As far as beer kits go don't use white sugar or dextrose as the main fermentable ingredient - use either LME or DME. Dextrose can be used at the end for carbonation.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Table sugar, in large quantities, seems to result in rather harsh ciders. Tom, the pizza guy, adds five pounds to table sugar to five gallons of cider. That doubles the ABV. The cider might have mellowed as it aged, but it didn't last very long.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
OdinOneEye
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You really don't need to add any sugar to your juice, though the ABV will be fairly low and your cider will be pretty sweet. It all depends on what your tastes are.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
sylviya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Type of sugar to use in Apple Cider?

Sounds good to me - I went ahead with the 1kg of white sugar, but added 2litres of apple and blackcurrant juice and almost a litre of pear juice, as well as the tin of concentrate in the kit and made up with water to required amount - it has been bubbling quite a lot!! Thanks for your advice denimglen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimglen
I've just made a Black Rock cider kit, I added 2 kg of dextrose so that the alcohol content was upped a bit (trying to emulate a high alcohol cider we have here in New Zealand sold under the brand name 'Scrumpy's'). I haven't brewed it with ordinary cane sugar so I can't tell you what's best but I would use dextrose to be on the safe side. Maybe wait for some of the more experienced cider brewers to give some better advice.

With 2 kg of dextrose I ended up with about 7% alcohol.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
sylviya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
Dextrose (aka glucose, aka corn sugar) is a simple sugar that ferments out cleanly. Plain white sugar (aka sucrose) works too but i'd personally not use too much of it as it can lead to off flavours.
As denimglen states if it's just being added to boost ABV you're better off with dextrose.
If you want to add flavours to your cider you can experiment with honey, brown sugars etc but these can often be overpowering if you add them in untested amounts.
As far as beer kits go don't use white sugar or dextrose as the main fermentable ingredient - use either LME or DME. Dextrose can be used at the end for carbonation.
Thanks for the advice - will try dextrose next time - I went ahead with white sugar - too impatient! Anyway we live and learn - hope this is a good lesson?

Old 03-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
sylviya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sugar type for apple cider?

Thanks for your answer David - being a new and impatient brewer - I went ahead with the white sugar - so we'll see!! There is nothing like experience to sort out the cider from the cider I guess!! Any other ideas on how to improve apple flavor would be much appreciated also. Thanks again.!

Table sugar, in large quantities, seems to result in rather harsh ciders. Tom, the pizza guy, adds five pounds to table sugar to five gallons of cider. That doubles the ABV. The cider might have mellowed as it aged, but it didn't last very long.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 AM   #9
sylviya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinOneEye
You really don't need to add any sugar to your juice, though the ABV will be fairly low and your cider will be pretty sweet. It all depends on what your tastes are.
Okay so sugar not needed? I'm afraid I like sweet flavoured ciders, wines, etc. Do you make your cider on apple juice only - or do you add something else that makes up for the sugar?? Thanks for answering - I am keen to learn any tricks that make a better drink and a higher alchohol content is fine!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
crazychris66
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviya View Post
Sounds good to me - I went ahead with the 1kg of white sugar, but added 2litres of apple and blackcurrant juice and almost a litre of pear juice, as well as the tin of concentrate in the kit and made up with water to required amount - it has been bubbling quite a lot!! Thanks for your advice denimglen.
Hey there can you please tell me how this turned out with adding the apple and black currant juice and pear juice. I'd be very interested to try this too if it was ok for you

Quick Reply