New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Best store bought juice for cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
kylelarson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Best store bought juice for cider?

Getting ready to make my first cider, living in Phoenix we don't exactly have anywhere I know of to get fresh pressed cider. From everyone's experience is there a preferred brand of apple juice to use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
alpha224
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

I'm in no way an expert, but I bought store brand apple juice from Walmart when I made my last batch, and have been given great reviews from everyone that has tried it... though I am going to try and experiment with that juice and some fresh pressed apples on my next batch.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

It all boils down to what additives and preservatives are in it more than brand I think but I don't have a lot of experience with cider. Hopefully others will chime in.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I use the Sam's Club apple juice, but this time of the year there is fresh press apple cider everywhere.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

I am also in the Phoenix/Glendale area... Does anyone know where to find some fresh pressed apple cider around this desert?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
jakenbacon

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I am literally drinking some of my cider that's about 6 months old and it is fantastic. I also live in phoenix and got 100% pressed apple juice (cider) from Fresh and Easy. They have a variety of 100% juices there. When I transferred to secondary I added a half gallon of cran-raspberry juice as well. turned out nice.....

Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
kylelarson
Recipes 

Yea I am seeing a lot of the pressed cider in stores now. Noticed on the labels they have some preservatives in them, I'm assuming to kill the natural yeast. Any idea how this would affect flavor/fermenting?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenbacon View Post
I am literally drinking some of my cider that's about 6 months old and it is fantastic. I also live in phoenix and got 100% pressed apple juice (cider) from Fresh and Easy. They have a variety of 100% juices there. When I transferred to secondary I added a half gallon of cran-raspberry juice as well. turned out nice.....
Not too long ago, someone on the board sent a bottle of peach/cider to me, add two cans of peached per five gallons. Really good, I have 10 gallons setting right now.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
danbrewtan
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I live in Texas and I can always find some legit pressed apple cider at the store. As long as it is pasteurized and does NOT have preservatives, it's worked great for me. I even use it to back sweeten! It's usually a golden brown colored juice in the half gallon jugs with some amount of sediment at the bottom. That's the good stuff!

"Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live." -Socrates

"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers." -Voltaire

Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

So the fresh pressed, unfiltered stuff is better for making hard cider/hard sparkling cider? I've got a one gallon batch in which I used the fresh apple cider,that's been bottled and in the fridge for about two weeks now. It tastes alright, will it get better with age?

Quick Reply